CNC Gear cutting?

As the first attempt to building up a set of change gears, has
anyone used CNC techniques to produce the first
set of (approximately shaped) blanks?
The difficulty being that if you wish to cut a gear with
a strange tooth count (41?) then you must already have a
wheel with a multiple of 41 teeth to start with.
Reply to
Airy R. Bean
or a dividing head with a suitable dividing plate or a rotary table dialed up at 8.78 degrees (8 deg 46' 50") per tooth - neither of which is particularly difficult.
I haven't tried the CNC approach although I'd probably rotate the blank using the 4th axis and so you still end up dividing 360 by 41, for one off's I think I'd stick to a manual operation.
Mark
Reply to
Mark Howard
You're assuming the availability of the set of 8 Browne & Sharpe cutters, none of which I have!
Reply to
Airy R. Bean
Where was the assumption?
I'm curious about your original question of using cnc to form the blanks. Why? Just conventional turning & boring...
Tom
Reply to
Tom
A warning Tom. Airy is a troll, real name Gareth. He is looking for a new whipping boy and you seem to have volunteered.
Standby for some abuse from him.
Reply to
Nimrod
So, what CNC machine have you got Gareth? Homemade is it?
No fettled castings or dirty threads I assume?
Have you actually made anything in your workshop?
Reply to
Nimrod
So tell us what you do have. We may be able to help.
Reply to
Nimrod
Sorry, typo - I wasn't thinking of blanks when I posed the question - I meant to refer to cutting temporary crudely shaped but otherwise complete wheels, but with an expectation that they would run noisily.
Reply to
Airy R. Bean