CNC Gear cutting?

As the first attempt to building up a set of change gears, has anyone used CNC techniques to produce the first set of (approximately shaped) blanks?

The difficulty being that if you wish to cut a gear with a strange tooth count (41?) then you must already have a wheel with a multiple of 41 teeth to start with.

Reply to
Airy R. Bean

or a dividing head with a suitable dividing plate or a rotary table dialed up at 8.78 degrees (8 deg 46' 50") per tooth - neither of which is particularly difficult.

I haven't tried the CNC approach although I'd probably rotate the blank using the 4th axis and so you still end up dividing 360 by 41, for one off's I think I'd stick to a manual operation.

Mark

Reply to
Mark Howard

You're assuming the availability of the set of 8 Browne & Sharpe cutters, none of which I have!

Reply to
Airy R. Bean

Where was the assumption?

I'm curious about your original question of using cnc to form the blanks. Why? Just conventional turning & boring...

Tom

Reply to
Tom

A warning Tom. Airy is a troll, real name Gareth. He is looking for a new whipping boy and you seem to have volunteered.

Standby for some abuse from him.

Reply to
Nimrod

So, what CNC machine have you got Gareth? Homemade is it?

No fettled castings or dirty threads I assume?

Have you actually made anything in your workshop?

Reply to
Nimrod

So tell us what you do have. We may be able to help.

Reply to
Nimrod

Reply to
Airy R. Bean