CNC headstock dividing attachment

I have been constructing a variant of the "Radford"/"G.H.Thomas" headstock dividing attachment for my ML7, but driven by stepper motor rather than by means of an indexing arm/dividing plates. Haven't finished the latching arm that hangs down the front, but that won't take much more effort. Photos at:

Stepper is 140 oz-in; I have used ball races instead of plain bearings on the worm shaft, and as the headstock bearing is pretty free, the motor gives ample torque.

Regards, Tony

Reply to
Tony Jeffree

I suppose you could look on it as the ultimate back-gear! Certainly simplifies the 65 tooth problem.

Mark Rand RTFM

Reply to
Mark Rand

That's the general idea!

Regards, Tony

Reply to
Tony Jeffree

What's up? Can't you sleep?

-- Regards,

John Stevenson Nottingham, England.

Reply to
John Stevenson

More photos of the completed device:

The latch that mounts on the headstock would normally be lower - I believe that the design was originally conceived for the ML7 without the gearbox fitted. However, the gearbox means that there is little alternative but to mount the latch in the middle of the "D" of MYFORD

- I had to grind away the raised letter to make a flat base for it to screw into. So I am now the owner of a MYFOR lathe ;-)

Regards, Tony

Reply to
Tony Jeffree

Tony

I meant to post this before, years ago I was given what must have been the grandfather of the Radford device, here's a scan from a 1920 catalogue:

Mine is a No. 2

Tom

Reply to
Tom