flat files, thinner than usual 47thou 1.2mm source please

I seem only able to purchase the hand held flat files as thin as 47thou (1.2mm), width typically .22inch (5.5mm) and length of file area 3inch
(50mm). I usually buy the Swiss Vallorbe files from Shesto UK. I need to file slots of 30thou (0.76mm) gap and thus these files are too thick, and I need a square end to the slot, so gluing emery paper to a steel rule is not going to give me the square side, I need a file with a filing edge. Why is it that 30thou and 20 thou files are not marketed. You can get miniature files like needles, gorgeous !!, but the square ones are much thicker annoyingly ! The material I am filing is plastic kit type so breakage is not a problem.
Does anyone know of a source ?
Guess its double sided tape, a thin steel rule and fine emery or flexifile strips (Aeroclub) but stumped at how to square the slot ends ! Why are we stumped in this day and age by such basic reqirements still !
Steve

OK, so I know naaaaaarthing, but that's never stopped me before...
Is it not possible to build up what you're making from plastic card bonded together, building the slot in?
Just an idea. And very probably a crap one... ;^)
--
Nigel

When the only tools you have are a Bridgeport, a CNC Taig Mill, a Colchester
they can put a man on the moon...... but they cant make a thin needle file.....
TYPICAL lol -- From the Keyboard of Tim Bird www.timbird.net
Gravity is not just a good idea........ ITS THE LAW!!! How can i soar like an Eagle.... When I am surrounded by Turkeys!!!!
> I seem only able to purchase the hand held flat files as thin as 47thou > (1.2mm), width typically .22inch (5.5mm) and length of file area 3inch > (50mm). I usually buy the Swiss Vallorbe files from Shesto UK. > I need to file slots of 30thou (0.76mm) gap and thus these files are too > thick, and I need a square end to the slot, so gluing emery paper to a steel > rule is not going to give me the square side, I need a file with a filing > edge. Why is it that 30thou and 20 thou files are not marketed. You can get > miniature files like needles, gorgeous !!, but the square ones are much > thicker annoyingly ! The material I am filing is plastic kit type so > breakage is not a problem. > > Does anyone know of a source ? > > Guess its double sided tape, a thin steel rule and fine emery or flexifile > strips (Aeroclub) but stumped at how to square the slot ends ! Why are we > stumped in this day and age by such basic reqirements still ! > > Steve > >
Steve wrote:

http://www.moldshoptools.com/list.php3?category_id 1
Joe
On Sat, 03 Jan 2004 23:15:15 GMT, "Steve"

Use a surface grinder on a 32 tpi hacksaw blade!
Mark Rand RTFM

<snip> Steve You can get screwhead slotting files from http://www.eternaltools.com /. They start at .35mm wide to .7mm, at 14 a time they are not cheap but maydo the job.
--
Bill Lamond,
Edinburgh
Gravity is not just a good idea........ ITS THE LAW!!! How can i soar like an Eagle.... When I am surrounded by Turkeys!!!!
contains these words: > > > I seem only able to purchase the hand held flat files as thin as 47thou > > (1.2mm), width typically .22inch (5.5mm) and length of file area 3inch > > (50mm). I usually buy the Swiss Vallorbe files from Shesto UK. > > I need to file slots of 30thou (0.76mm) gap and thus these files are too > > thick, and I need a square end to the slot, so gluing emery paper to a steel > > rule is not going to give me the square side, I need a file with a filing > > edge. Why is it that 30thou and 20 thou files are not marketed. You can get > > miniature files like needles, gorgeous !!, but the square ones are much > > thicker annoyingly ! The material I am filing is plastic kit type so > > breakage is not a problem. > > > Does anyone know of a source ? > <snip> > Steve > You can get screwhead slotting files from http://www.eternaltools.com /. > They start at .35mm wide to .7mm, at 14 a time they are not cheap but > maydo the job. > -- > Bill Lamond, > Edinburgh
Thanks for suggestions so far, Vallorbe screw head slotters at 0.35mm (14thou) thick are nice but have triangle sides not flat sides, otherwise would be ideal. I have no tool making facilities, no bench equipment so filing profiles onto something .3mm thick is beyond me though sounds dicey ?, also I need the file sides to be 'toothed' as well. A friend has tried grinding down a flat file with some success though cross section had a pitched ground surface as opposed to flat which soon fouled the slot height. Perhaps with more precision this is the only solution ? Steve
contains these words:

3inch
so
http://www.eternaltools.com /.
Another thought, would be to try using a course diamond stone to apply the roughened surface prior to hardening of a silver steel blank. If possbile, just drag the diamond across. Otherwise use a needle file, to impart it's tooth profile, prior to hardening, may also work.
Joules
I buy the Vallorbe 1mm thick jointing files and had some surface ground (professionally) down to .75 mm without a problem. They are delicate but still cut OK. It was done on a grinder with large wheels i.e. over 18" and a reciprocating action that prevents overheating etc.
Paul

steel
get