Dope thinner

I was a little surprised when I worked this out, but it has
been 46 years since I last built a model! Things have
changed and I have forgotten a lot, so bear with me.....
Around the house I have paint thinner, lacquer thinner,
acetone, alcohol, and MEK. Will any of these work as a
solvent for dope (mostly cleanup)?
Reply to
BCRandy
Loading thread data ...
On Mon, 30 Jul 2007 04:36:32 -0400, I said, "Pick a card, any card" and "BCRandy" instead replied:
Ditch the MEK at a hazardous waste disposal site and use acetone. That should work for cleanup.
The MEK is very dangerous around the house. -- Ray
Reply to
Ray Haddad
MEK and acetone good. Possibly lacquer thinner too.
Reply to
The Natural Philosopher
So are ladders apparently.
And candles.
Reply to
The Natural Philosopher
On Mon, 30 Jul 2007 11:29:25 +0100, I said, "Pick a card, any card" and The Natural Philosopher instead replied:
Unless the candles and ladders are made from asbestos, they're not carcinogenic like MEK. Very bad stuff. -- Ray
Reply to
Ray Haddad
"Ray Haddad" wrote
Not this again.
ALL you have to do to keep the MEK from being carcinogenic, is to wear rubber gloves while it is still liquid. When it soaks into your skin, it is not good for you.
Reply to
Morgans
On Mon, 30 Jul 2007 08:13:24 -0400, I said, "Pick a card, any card" and "Morgans" instead replied:
Or inhale it. It's just too nasty for words. Why even use it? There's really no need for it with other, safer compounds around. -- Ray
Reply to
Ray Haddad
Thanks for the warnings about MEK - I didn't know. I bought it for a project some time ago and haven't used it since. Thankfully, I was out doors and used gloves. Maybe I'll just get rid of it....
Reply to
BCRandy
Dope is lacquer, and lacquer thinner is the stuff to use. If you go to a pro auto paint supply you'll find that there are a variety of lacquer thinners available, mostly to allow you to control the drying time of the paint. I use the slower drying time thinner because I no longer have easy access to a paint shop, and have to brush on dope.
Reply to
Tim Wescott
What makes you say that? If someone else's cigarette gives you cancer, so does a candle
Anyway, there are more dangers from life than cancer.
You won't CARE if you have got cancer if you've just burnt to death, or fallen 15 feet and broken your neck.
Reply to
The Natural Philosopher
Use it because it works better than anything else on the market. You just have to be careful and not wash your hands in it.
The trouble with "safer compounds" in general is; they don't work nearly as well as those they supposedly replace.
Ron
Reply to
Ron
On Tue, 31 Jul 2007 00:15:31 +0100, I said, "Pick a card, any card" and The Natural Philosopher instead replied:
Then just shoot your handgun in the air because the bullets probably won't hit YOU on the head. No problem, mate.
It's just dumb to ignore a real danger just because you believe it to be a minimum danger. But you just go ahead. Your choice. -- Ray
Reply to
Ray Haddad
SNIP
Shame on you, Ron. You were not supposed to notice that, much less talk about it.
/end sarcasm
Reply to
Six_O'Clock_High
Don't.
There are times that MEK is the only thing that will cut what you need it to.
Reply to
Morgans
On Tue, 31 Jul 2007 21:02:59 -0400, I said, "Pick a card, any card" and "Morgans" instead replied:
There's no such thing. There's always another solvent that will work. MEK was fairly universal, though. Dangerous but very versatile. Methyl-Ethyl-Keytone is a simple mix and is considered dangerous when used as a compound.
You're all missing the point when you defend this stuff. There ARE other compounds that work in its place that are safer, easier to store and don't carry toxic labeling.
Read this, oh non believers: http://72.14.253.104/search?q=cache:31BRtRzySCkJ:
formatting link
formatting link
You can debate the undeniable convenience factor until you're purple. You can pooh-pooh the safety data sheet and disregard it. All those are personal choices. Advising someone else, though? That's a horse of a different color. You can take your own bad advice. Just don't give it to someone who really doesn't know any better and is asking a legitimate question. Ignore safety warnings at your OWN peril. Not someone else's. End of story. -- Ray
Reply to
Ray Haddad
http://72.14.253.104/search?q=cache:31BRtRzySCkJ:
formatting link
Or:
formatting link
Do you know that life has a 100% guaranteed mortality rate?
I think it should be banned. Now.
Reply to
The Natural Philosopher
On Wed, 01 Aug 2007 10:12:01 +0100, I said, "Pick a card, any card" and The Natural Philosopher instead replied:
http://72.14.253.104/search?q=cache:31BRtRzySCkJ:
formatting link
Or:
formatting link
If that's the way you feel about it, report to the Soylent Green factory now. They have your number there.
On the other hand, life isn't banned while MEK is. -- Ray
Reply to
Ray Haddad
http://72.14.253.104/search?q=cache:31BRtRzySCkJ:
formatting link
Or:
formatting link
Well for us poor peons in Bum Fuc Montana it's MEK thankyou. 99.99% of the stuff you suggest is at best a 3 hour drive one way. I can get MEK down the street at the hardware store. 8^) I've handled stuff far more dangerous than MEK. 40% Hydrogen peroxide for one...we wont mention the calcium hypochlorate or the nitric acid my wife got a 3rd degree burn from (she broke the rules and had a I know what I'm doing moment)
So nice argument.
Reply to
Keith Schiffner
http://72.14.253.104/search?q=cache:31BRtRzySCkJ:
formatting link
Or:
formatting link
Yeah,
Nice argument. See you in the Emergency Room or the morgue.
Geezer
Reply to
Geezer
http://72.14.253.104/search?q=cache:31BRtRzySCkJ:
formatting link
Or:
formatting link
30+ years of following the basic saftey measures hasn't let me down. Those new fangled nitrle glove hold up long enough and lots of ventelation. Is a 20kts wind and wide open garage good enough? I need to replace my mask it's worn out and I can't find filters anyways.
-- Keith Schiffner Once you've driven a 50 year old truck through a mind field cleared by the cheapest equipment the government could by...nothing scares you.
Reply to
Keith Schiffner

PolyTech Forum website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.