RC Airplanes group on Yahoo

The group owner and at least one moderator are anti-AMA, it would appear. I caught some flack from them for posting about AMA insurance when a few newbies said that AMA and other insurers wouldn't pay up. The group owner told me that posting about AMA was off- topic because it had nothing to do with flying RC airplanes! A pox on that. I left the group.

So if you're a AMA-basher this group is the place for you!

CR

Reply to
Charles & Peggy Robinson

and what about those of us who loath moderated groups and loath Yahoo's in general?? Oh and cite please for those supposed non-payments. I'm no fan of the games some of the AMA board play but it is a necessary evil.

Reply to
Keith Schiffner

If you want to see what they said about non-payments you'll have to join the group to see the messages. If you don't like Yahoo gruops that's OK with me and NOMB.

CR

Reply to
Charles & Peggy Robinson

Why would anyone hate ALL Yahoo Groups out of hand? Is the need to curse and flame so deeply entrenched that being expected to behave in a civil manner is unacceptable? If these aren't the reasons, please elaborate.

I judge the groups individually. Some have proven to be extremely helpful and I met some really nice folks. The now defunct VN800 Classic group was a good one, for sure.

Ed Cregger

Reply to
Ed Cregger

Simple Ed, I've never liked Yahoo ever. Too cumbersome AND their controls are counter-intuitive to simple and easy use. 8^) USENET makes MORE sense...farkles are for people with esteem issues.

And it was a good one too. 8^) I prefer free speech over not hurting feelings. Thus my utter distaste for moderated forums. If you can't say what you feel...then why hang out with people who only want to hear what they want to hear.

Reply to
Keith Schiffner

I say what I feel wherever I go, which can lead to problems at times. With that, I agree.

When I have my druthers, I'll go with unmoderated forums, though I can tolerate some inappropriate moderation without totally losing it.

Everyone has to please themselves. Thanks for the explanation.

Ed Cregger

Reply to
Ed Cregger

No, thank you. For getting me to clarify what I was trying to say. It's rare knack to be able to get this particular knuckleheaded Neanderthal to explain my thoughts more clearly. 8^)

p. s. I uncrated the planes this spring...not a pretty picture. The hanger rash looks more like a trash barrel after a fun fly.

Reply to
Keith Schiffner

"Keith Schiffner" wrote

--------------

Ouch! I hate when that happens.

I have a bazillion kits and ARFs (not bragging - all are gifts from the XYL), but no energy to put them together and fly them.

I love large models, but when it is time to load them up to take them to the field, handle them, fly them, then reload and unpack at home, the smaller models become much more attractive.

I have a Dragon Lady ARF 60 that I should assemble and get going. The only problem I have with that model is which engine to use. Gas, glow or Diesel? I would be infinitely better off if I fitted the Saito 1.25. Who knows what will happen? Drama....8>)

Ed Cregger

Reply to
Ed Cregger

I'm a member of several groups on Yahoo. Have been on more. If I don't like a group after getting my feet wet, I can always leave. This is one I left. Don't like the attitude of the owner and one moderator; especially towards AMA.

CR

Reply to
Charles & Peggy Robinson

It has been a long tim since I belonged to the AMA, late fities or early sisties. I am getting back into RC and have 40 acres to do it on, so at least for now have no need for the organization

But I am curious why the unhappiness with them?

JakeInHartsel

Reply to
Jake

last couple of years the politics had become ugly, egos and attitudes flying and right...I went ahead and unused for a while.

Reply to
Keith Schiffner

I belong to a AMA charter club. My little town is in a river valley and there isn't too much open land for larger models. The club field is the only space available. But I've flown electrics at schoolyards and athletic fields. I still appreciate the warm fuzzy feeling of having the AMA liability insurance. If you ever had a fly-away and the model did damage to person or property, you'd be glad of it too. (G)

CR

Reply to
Charles & Peggy Robinson

I used to belong to the AMA when there was no insurance.

Ed Cregger

Reply to
Ed Cregger

How times have changed, Ed. Wonder what the AMA membership would be today without the compulsary personal insurance at club sites? The small minority that are involved competitively would likely keep up their dues; a handful that regard AMA like a patriotic cause/church undoubtably would to. Suspect the rest that remained would all fit in Yugo.

Reply to
Abel Pranger

CR--

If the AMA insurance is the only thing protecting your assets from a liability judgment in a model accident, I heartily recommend dropping some bucks to have your lawyer look over your policy...you might get some surprises. If you have homeowner's insurance, the personal liability coverage included in it should be your principal source of warm fuzzy feelings.

rj

Reply to
Ralph Jones

-------------

Even back then folks used to think I was crazy for spending $4 in such a careless manner.

One had to be a member in order to compete in AMA sanctioned contests, as you know. Control line combat and precision aerobatics were my interests back then. R/C models were still back in the days of humming to themselves.

Ed Cregger

Reply to
Ed Cregger

So?

CR

Reply to
Charles & Peggy Robinson

I'm one of the few who has actually read my insurance policies, I guess. The warm fuzzy of the AMA insurance extends way past the limits of liability of my homeowner's.

CR

Reply to
Charles & Peggy Robinson

I am saying that I saw/see value in the AMA for other than the insurance. Not that I think they should stop providing insurance.

Ed Cregger

Reply to
Ed Cregger