Typical club noise level requirments

Hey guys, I am looking for information from as many clubs as possible as to what your clubs maximum engine/prop noise levels are.

Our club maximum noise level is 88 dbA @ 7m (~23 feet) over grass.

Send me an email or a reply to the group would be great.

I look forward to hearing from you guys.

Richard

Reply to
Richard

Don't enact one unless the local area forces you to, then go as high as they'll let you get away with.

One trick we played with our mousse can mufflers was: instead of using one large outlet, we drilled a lot of small holes around the rim of the can. It wasn't any quieter, possibly louder, but that drove the noise frequency above what the dB meter was tuned for, so it didn't register. Sound levels are Micky Mouse, there are ways around anything. Dr.1 Driver "There's a Hun in the sun!"

Reply to
Dr1Driver

And how do they actually measure that? I doubt many clubs have a dbA meter handy. In any case 88dbA @ 7m is very loud.

85dbA for 8 hours (based on a local standard) is considered above maximum dosage. Of course, the likelihood of a 8 hours of constant flying is rare.

I think our club (which I'm about to join) simply requires mufflers. Of course, anything deemed exceptionally noisy would be questioned.

Reply to
The Raven

Hi Richard,

80dB(A) @ 7m over grass, 8 point measurement in a circle, at 45 degrees each, 1 meter high. Maximum of 5 IC planes in the air:
Met vriendelijke groet ;-) Ron van Sommeren near Nijmegen, the Netherlands

Reply to
Ron van Sommeren

UK governing body (BMFA) requirements are 82dba at 7 metres.

Quite easy to pass up to a 0.46 cu inch size engine at sport rpm of 10-11,000 ish (eg APC 11x6 or 11x7 prop). OS and Irvine have good silencers.

But we do have Zenoah 46 cc gasoline engine as well that has passed .....

Colin

Reply to
C W

Luckily, our flying site is out far enough so noise isn't really a problem. Yet. We took special pains to note on the sign at the entrance to our field that R.C. Airplane activity had been going on continuously since 1969. With all of the new housing development going on, we thought this was necessary. (What do you mean, you didn't know there were model airplanes flying there, the sign on the road say they have been there since 1969) We do require mufflers, but we don't enforce noise standards. Yet. When the time comes, we will be good neighbors. There was another group of guys who talked the city into letting them fly at a local public park. Most of them wouldn't belong to an organized club due to varying reasons. (Didn't want to pay dues, Rules, insurance, frequency control, mufflers, flying over houses restrictions, etc.) Shortly, the complaints from people who lived around there started coming in. The city attorney, doing due diligence, researched this activity. There appeared; frequency board, proof of insurance and muffler requirement, (AMA, home owners,) then you had to get a permit from the city. The end came when one of the guys flew his 1/3 scale extra, 5.8, no muffler over some houses. The PD warned him, he waited until they left, then did the same thing again. One of the heavy hitter citizen$ who lived close to the park raised holy hell. The city then banned all RC activity at that park. Most of the guys joined us with the understanding that they abide by our rules.

"Richard" wrote in message news:vNCxc.44977$ snipped-for-privacy@nntp-post.primus.ca...

Reply to
Bill

| Don't enact one unless the local area forces you to, then go as high | as they'll let you get away with. | | One trick we played with our mousse can mufflers was: instead of | using one large outlet, we drilled a lot of small holes around the | rim of the can. It wasn't any quieter, possibly louder, but that | drove the noise frequency above what the dB meter was tuned for, so | it didn't register.

I'm glad you don't live anywhere near me. I'd really hate to drive out to the flying field and find a big `CLOSED PERMANENTLY DUE TO NOISE COMPLAINTS' sign on the gate.

| Sound levels are Micky Mouse, there are ways around anything.

Great attitude. You'll have a great, loud time, until you get the entire club run off. Like it or not, fair or not, you've got to play nice with the neighbors, or they'll go to great lengths (never understimate the to tenacity of a man with a grudge) to remove you -- and they'll probably win.

Reply to
Doug McLaren

When the neighbors complain, the club will do something, I'm sure. Otherwise, don't fix it if it ain't broken.

Oh, I'm glad you don't live anywhere near me, either. Dr.1 Driver "There's a Hun in the sun!"

Reply to
Dr1Driver

Once people start complaining, it's too late, damage already done. Prevent complaints.

Met vriendelijke groet ;-) Ron van Sommeren near Nijmegen, the Netherlands

Reply to
Ron van Sommeren

Don't worry about it Doug. They'll probably find a way to blame me! That's typical for those kind!

phaser!

Reply to
C.O.Jones

Must be fun trying to organise a measurement...........

Reply to
The Raven

We have to be less than 98dbA @ 3Metres over grass, with the model at ground level.

Reply to