Dope thinner

On Wed, 8 Aug 2007 22:06:30 -0600, I said, "Pick a card, any card" and "Keith Schiffner" instead replied:

How about you prove it's safe. Care to drink it? Care to use it as eye wash? Care to inhale it or wash your hands with it?

Probably not. You'll wear gloves, goggles and a splash apron while declaring that MEK is as safe as a puppy.

Read the label.

-- Ray

Reply to
Ray Haddad

You're correct, Ed.. It war MEKP (methyl ethyl ketone peroxide) and was the catalyst for polyester resin.....

Good memory.....

Bill

Reply to
Bill Fulmer

snip

Now Ray, even my beer has a warning label. Are you going to ban that also? How about all those neat electronics that the State of California has determined may have cancer causing agents in them?

How about a break here and engage a little thought. MEK is dangerous if not properly used, but so is the lead in most guns.

Reply to
Six_O'Clock_High

On Thu, 09 Aug 2007 22:20:37 GMT, I said, "Pick a card, any card" and "Six_O'Clock_High"

Reply to
Ray Haddad

"Ray Haddad" wrote

Well, gang, I think Ray has come off his hard-line as much as he is going to, and the above statement is quite a step towards reality...

I say we let it go at that. Heed the warnings on the can, when you use MEK. That goes without saying.

OK ? ? ? End of thread ? ? ?

Reply to
Morgans

On Thu, 9 Aug 2007 20:13:33 -0400, I said, "Pick a card, any card" and "Morgans" instead replied:

My hard line has always been the same, mate. Don't tell OTHERS what to do if it endangers them even a tiny bit. You and the others here have been making a stupid case for indiscriminate use of MEK when that practice would be foolish and potentially fatal.

A day late and a dollar short, Jim. That's what I've been stating all along. Nothing more, nothing less.

-- Ray

Reply to
Ray Haddad

I see you are not content to stop, without the last word.

I could easily go back in the tread and find MUCH stronger statements than what you wrote in the last post, but it isn't worth it, to me, to prove you a liar. I am fairly certain of that fact, anyway.

Go ahead and have the last word now. I know you will.

Reply to
Morgans

Who apart from you has even mentioned the possibility?

Straw men and aunt Sallies, ray. Poor. Very poor.

Read the title

DOPE THINNER.

What is wrong with using MEK as a dope thinner?.

Not much. Its likely to make you giddy sick and sleepy in a confined space. So are most organic solvents. Its maybe a little fast evaporating so MAY cause 'blush'

That's about it. It won't hurt on your skin in small quantities, or in your eyes (stings like the devil, but won't cause lasting damage) and you have to drink a cupful to do serious damage..and it tastes worse than Jack Daniels..so who would anyway?

(yeah there are people who drink Jack Daniels I suppose:well Darwin rules ok?)

It wont ever give you cancer..no way.

Which are equivalent to just about any similar product like e.g. acetone.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

"mjc13 @verizon.net>"

Reply to
Keith Schiffner

Drink it? Well I've had a good swallow due to carelessness...got a buzz. Eye wash? Not on pupose but it's happend. Didn't need an ER visit contrary to your spurious claims. Inhaled? Duh as for hands yep washed with it. What's your point ray?

Why would I?

I read the entire MSDS instead and posted it for you...because you wouldn't. Now sit down and be quiet. You are annoying everyone more than I do.

Reply to
Keith Schiffner

On Fri, 10 Aug 2007 01:30:16 +0100, The Natural Philosopher wrote in :

From googling around, I got the impression that MEK evaporates more slowly than acetone.

Of course, it was just some random web page and may have been all backward.

This page does confirm the fast evaporation rate:

"Methyl Ethyl Ketone (MEK) is a clear, colorless, low-boiling organic liquid with a typical ketone odor. It is a fast evaporating solvent with an evaporation rate similar to ethyl acetate.

"Although not as volatile as acetone, Methyl Ethyl Ketone is similar to acetone in many respects. It is miscible with most organic solvents and is an excellent solvent for most natural and synthetic resins.

"Methyl Ethyl Ketone is a highly versatile organic compound but finds its greatest utility as a solvent in the surface coatings industry. Its use as a solvent for vinyl lacquers is well established and accounts for its largest use. Nitrocellulose lacquers consume large volumes of Methyl Ethyl Ketone and solubilization of acrylic coatings also contributes to the overall use of Methyl Ethyl Ketone by the surface coatings industry.

"MEK is preferred as a lacquer solvent, because high concentrations of resins possessing superior aliphatic and aromatic diluent tolerance can be readily achieved as low viscosity solutions. Methyl Ethyl Ketone is also commonly used as a solvent for rubber cements and other natural and synthetic resins for adhesive use.

"Other important applications are as an extraction solvent for the dewaxing of lube oil and as an intermediate in the production of antioxidants, perfumes and catalysts. Methyl Ethyl Ketone is also used by the hard wood pulping industry and in the production of smokeless powder. It is routinely used in printing inks, degreasing and cleaning fluids and as a component of the solvent system used in producing magnetic tape. Methyl Ethyl Ketone as a chemical intermediate will undergo the typical reactions associated with the ketone class of compounds."

I might buy a can. I've been looking for something to thin rubber cement. I hate paying for "rubber cement thinner."

Marty

Reply to
Martin X. Moleski, SJ

"Martin X. Moleski, SJ" > wrote

It really is a miracle solvent. Compatible with a lot of different compounds.

If you need to thin something, or clean something, give the MEK a try. It will usually do the job in a fraction of the time of something else.

Of course, handle it with care, and use the proper protections. Also, don't use it to brush your teeth, or as mouthwash or as ear wax cleaner, or eyewash.

Reply to
Morgans

On Thu, 9 Aug 2007 18:39:56 -0600, I said, "Pick a card, any card" and "Keith Schiffner" instead replied:

I never made any such claims. You assign them to me but that only means that in effect YOU have made them.

So you won't injure yourself.

Aside from the fact that you have misquoted me and mischaracterized my posts here, I suppose we are both equally annoying. I annoy be being practical and recommending safe handling practices while you annoy by promoting ignorance of safety warnings and hysteria.

-- Ray

Reply to
Ray Haddad

Jim: Seems like I have nothing better to do for the moment, so here are some of the quotes that you say you did not make, or that you have never been any more hard-line than to follow the directions on the MEK can.

Ray: > Of course it is. Read what I wrote before you go spewing spit all

Jim: True, but you did ask someone if they would do it. Kinda the same. Here is the quote:

Ray: How about you prove it's safe. Care to drink it? Care to use it as eye wash? Care to inhale it or wash your hands with it?

Ray: Unless the candles and ladders are made from asbestos, they're not carcinogenic like MEK. Very bad stuff.

Ray: Or inhale it. It's just too nasty for words. Why even use it? There's really no need for it with other, safer compounds around.

Ray: There's no such thing. There's always another solvent that will work. MEK was fairly universal, though. Dangerous but very versatile. Methyl-Ethyl-Keytone is a simple mix and is considered dangerous when used as a compound.

Ray: You're all missing the point when you defend this stuff. There ARE other compounds that work in its place that are safer, easier to store and don't carry toxic labeling.

Ray: I've never stated that I want to ban anything, mate.

Jim: You didn't? What was this quote?

Ray: On the other hand, life isn't banned while MEK is.

Ray: You don't seem to have the intelligence to advise folk who don't know that Would you advise someone else to do so? Apparently so. You have no reservations about advising others to use MEK.

Ray: This is not only unwise but immoral. Is that really how you want to be known here?

Ray: Note that I have never stated that it should NEVER be used at all but have simply offered straight forward and accurate information on warnings regarding its use to someone who came here asking about its use.

Jim: What were some of the above statements? Like: Ray: MEK is harmful so therefore you disqualify your own opinion. It is harmful. It should not be casually used particularly by a hobbiest in a non industrial environment.

Ray: Aside from the fact that you have misquoted me and mischaracterized my posts here, I suppose we are both equally annoying. I annoy be being practical and recommending safe handling practices while you annoy by promoting ignorance of safety warnings and hysteria.

Jim: I think you being annoying is far in the lead. All of the above quotes should do it, for evidence.

Jim: As far as being misquoted, you must speak a very different brand of English, down there. Proven above.

NOW I'm done. Over and out.

Go ahead and spew some more, Ray. I think everyone knows the score, now.

Reply to
Morgans

On Fri, 10 Aug 2007 01:10:05 -0400, I said, "Pick a card, any card" and "Morgans" instead replied:

Of course they do. MEK is dangerous and the label states that.

-- Ray

Reply to
Ray Haddad

Of course it is dangerous when misused. So are automobiles as witnessed by the 40,000 people killed every year in automobiles in the US.

Please answer these questions:

  1. Is MEK more dangerous the glo fuel? 1b. If so in what way?

  1. Is MEK more dangerous then acetone? 2b. If so in what way?

  2. Is MEK more dangerous then gasoline? 3b. If so in what way?

  1. Does MEK cause cancer? 4b. If so provide scientific proof from a reliable source.

I will give you a hint. The answers are no, no, no, no.

I suppose you will evade answering these questions or simply lie and provide no justification for your answers because there is no justification other then blind stupidity. Facts are ugly things liebchen.

Just for the record I never once suggested misuse of this product. I and all others who responded have repeatedly suggested prudent safety policies in its use even if we personally do not follow these suggestions.

You on the other hand have lied about the risks, lied about what others have said and lied about the safety data. Without every once providing any proof of your radical assertions other then an empty claim you read it on a label. OK if it is on some label you should provide the following:

  1. Name of manufacturer.
  2. Lot number of the batch.
  3. Exact wording of the safety warning on the label you keep claiming you have read, including the part about it causing cancer.

Failure to fully address each of these 11 items I am asking for simply disqualifies you from any further consideration. In fact failure to address all 11 questions simply means you have no useful information and have been making up things out of your own sick head from your very first post on the topic.

Reply to
bm459

On Thu, 9 Aug 2007 22:04:29 -0400, "Morgans" wrote in :

Sounds like fun.

Will do.

:-O

Marty

Reply to
Martin X. Moleski, SJ

Funnily enough I was putting up some plastic guttering today - its mainly PVC and I use a solvent weld on it.

The recommended cleaner and weld solvent is MEK.

The tin says its an irritant, highly inflammable and bad to breathe in.

No mention of any other effects, apart from a 'do not drink it either' warning.

*shrug* Nothing to make a song and dance about
Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

On Fri, 10 Aug 2007 08:02:46 -0700, I said, "Pick a card, any card" and snipped-for-privacy@scn.org instead replied:

Read the label.

-- Ray

Reply to
Ray Haddad

When I read the label on my can it says nothing at all about causing cancer or being particularly hazardous to use. So reading my label does not help.

Why not answer the questions? They are easy enough. And with the statement off your label, the lot number and the manufacturer I can contact the manufacturer and ask him why he says the stuff causes cancer when there is no evidence it causes cancer. I will be happy to post his response.

Or did you simply make up all of your fancy claims and are too small a sub human to admit you lied? If you fail to answer the questions I think we all have to come to the conclusion you lied from the very start and are simply some type of weird chemophobe.

Put up or shut up.

Reply to
bm459