compass

Thanks to everyone who replied to my post.

I will remove some of the remaining oil and compare it with those suggested. One suggestion that did ring a bell was glycerine . The compass was used by my farther in WW2 and many years ago I recolect him saying he was going to use glycerine to "top it up".

Chris.

Reply to
rack2000

I am sure there are others, including myself, who are waiting to hear how you get on.

How did you do it. Did it work.

I have several compasses with similar bubbles including one of the type you describe.

Donald. South Uist

Reply to
Donald

Silva UK either repaired or replaced FOC a (very expensive) compass of mine which developed a bubble early in its life. On another the bubble seems to come and go, depending on what I'm not sure.

Reply to
Malcolm Stewart

I've got a Silva one where the bubble varies - mainly with atmospheric pressure. I did wonder whether it was possible to calibrate it as an altimeter as the bubble grew going up hills - but never pursued it.

Russell

Reply to
Russell

The story continues. I removed the filling screw and using a syringe and large needle (its one of those that come from an inkjet cartridge refill kit) removed some of the "oil". Its much thinner than glycerine and smells like a spirate (alcohol) of some type. I tried mixing some with glycerine and ended up with a very milky looking liquid. Glad I didnt just pump something back into the compass I could have ended up in right mess. Now heres the bit the purists will probably shoot me for !. Went through the medicine draw and found a bottle of surgical spirate, smells similar and mixed perfectly with the original fliud, so I filled up the compass with it and up to now no ill effects. Except I still have a small bubble but with a bit of practice slowly removing the needle while pumping the spirate in will probably clear. Might try a grivity feed with the needle on the end of a bit of silicone tube as pulling the syringe out while pressing the plunger is a bit iffy.

Hope the helps anyone with a similar problem.

Chris.

Reply to
rack2000

I say liquid paraffin the type you use for constipation should be used .

if its no good .then it has its other uses. :)

all the best.mark

Reply to
mark