Cutting oil and wet&dry vacs

As I suspect many of you do, I use a wet & dry vacuum cleaner for cleaning up swarf from machinery, benches (and everywhere else!).

I have been using it a lot lately with some very oily swarf, and have noticed that the plastic suction tube is being affected by the oil. Some fractures have appeared, and a temporary gaffer tape lash up is on the weekend work schedule.

I know I could just buy another one, but has anyone found a source of tubes that are oil resistant?

FWIW, I use Garia H straight cutting oil, not soluble oil, and it's an Aqua-Vac.

David

Reply to
David Littlewood

I suspect that you will find that most flexible tubing will harden in time when used with oily waste. Clearly there is tubing made for oils eg fuel pipes for vehicles that does not suffer this way but I suspect it will be difficult to find consumer type quantities in the bore that you want. I'd be tempted to treat the hose as a consumable and make a point of collecting such hoses from recycling centres, skips and car boot sales for future use. If like me you also make sawdust for a hobby, then it might be worth flushing the vac and hose through with a bucket full of sawdust after a cleaning up swarf session (obviously after emptying out the swarf). You could keep the same bucketfull for use many times over. In fact I always keep a bucket of sawdust in the metalwork workshop just to deal with spills that happen every now and then.

hth

Bob

Reply to
Bob Minchin

Exhaust pipe/tube for yachts is worth a try. Get it from your nearest chandlers in multiple of 1 metre lengths.

Reply to
Sandy Morton

I could use a wet and dry vac, any recommendations, from those who know, on best model etc to buy that copes well in an industrial environment, vacuuming swarf, suds etc. bob

Reply to
Emimec

I have two of the Wickes branded ones. One stays clean for my vaccum table chuck on the Bridgeport Interact, and the other is for more usual workshop swarf and debris. They were very cheap, suck well (no comments please), and seem to stand up to a fair amount of abuse. The idea being that the clean one will eventually work down the chain to the dirty ones role.

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson