Friday night special !!!

As is the norm with machinery life, wait till it's last thing on a Friday, and then stop working, knowing full well you are needed to work hard on Saturday !!!

Hopefully the blighter has gone on strike due to lack of oil in the auto lube thing at the back of the Bridgeport Interact CNC thingy.

Now, what is today's easily available equivalent for Mobil Vactra 32 ( or was it 33 ? ) on a Saturday morning ????

Google searches took me all over cuckoo land....... Bob

Reply to
Emimec

ISO 32 High Bollock oil a la Myfords?

Reply to
ravensworth2674

Thanks. I've just found my manual and the oil I stated was wrong, it should be Mobil Vactra oil number 2. I also found a list of alternatives in the book, but as its old no doubt a google with the correct info will find equivalents in the UK. Bob

Reply to
Emimec

Sure it's not vactra no 2, which is ISO 68 sideway oil? I suspect it may be this if its in the central lube system. If you have a local Wyko bearing/belt shop nearly they can probably supply an equivalent, although I've used both ISO 32 and ISO 220 in a pinch on manual warco & bridgy mills. The 220 is rather viscous stuff though.

Peter

Reply to
Peter Neill

Bob, I suspect that this nothing but a slideway oil but thicker than my suggested ISO32. There is quite a bit on the oil in Home Shop Machinist Forum and Manufacturing Forum and I would have a dig there to confirm my thoughts.

Suffice to relate that I am a Myford bloke and Bridgeports are out of my class. However, the recommended oil was a most expensive NUTO 32 and being born on the steps of the Synagogue of Scottish parents, I went to the local oil wholesalers. I was patted firmly on the head and told this is only hydraulic oil and it costs next to nothing and I have 5 liytres of the stuff now plus 5 litres of this sticky slideway stuff- plus something called lard oil as cutting fluid and bacon substitute.

Bob, go, cultivate your own local oil guy who will be a mine of information.

Good Luck

Norman

Reply to
ravensworth2674

Peter`s correct,Vactra oil no. 2 is an ISO 68 slideway oil.If your stuck a top up with engine oil wont do any harm. Mark.

Reply to
mark

Thanks all. I actually have a drum of slideway oil so will top up with that for now. Must have been a cheapo J&L purchase I bought years ago. Regards Bob

Reply to
Emimec

There is no equivalent of Mobil Vactra No. 2, only poor substitutes. Of course, if bedway wear isn't a concern, go for what the various snake oil salesmen recommend.

Tom

Reply to
Tom

Mobil Vacuoline 1409 is the modern equivalent of what Vactra No. 2 used to be (way oil). Which is odd, since both have been on the market for a good 50 years.

It would appear Vacuoline has the tackiness additives that Vactra no longer has.

Mark Rand RTFM

Reply to
Mark Rand

Sorry, but the details of extracting oil from snakes is, if I recall published in an old trappers book called 'Cache Lake Country' by John J Rowlands. I am unsure whether it was Rowlands or Horace Kephart who followed up with bear oil. After all, this was about 1949 and I was helping to kit out an Antarctic Expedition. with the Norwegians and the Brits.

Reply to
ravensworth2674

Crap. Modern Vactra 2 isn`t even the same oil it was a few years ago due to changes in the formulation.Mobil themselves recommend an alternative. Most quality lube oil manufacturers offer ISO 68 slideway oils that meet the spec of Vactra no.2. I have large cnc`s running that have never had Vactra on the slides and wear is not a problem.Some of these machines are now over thirty years old. I would not advocate using engine or hydraulic oil all the time but if it is the difference between a machine standing idle or running a few days on the wrong oil I know what I would do.

Mark.

Reply to
mark

Thanks all, the advice here let me one over the blighter, the oil I had in stock was in fact Tonna T68 and she didnt even notice the difference in flavour, burst into life after the pit stop !!!

On a similar vein, I wonder where, in any machine tool, the bit is that senses urgent jobs, friday nights, holidays etc and decides to **ck up for you !! Bob

Reply to
Emimec

substitutes.

various

alternative.

slides

thirty

Could just possibly be an omission in the routine maintenance schedule perhaps?????

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

Language please !!! maintenance schedule? no idea what that could be !!! Bob

Reply to
Emimec

message

schedule

Coming from a maintenance / support background, I know that everything will eventually fail it's only a matter of when. However I'm not sure if it is better to be imagining failure modes, taking anticipatory evasive actions and worrying about things, or to go through life constantly being suprised as things go wrong, but not worrying. My wife will tell you I'm most definately in the first category, looking at bolts on fairground rides, and not flying Aeroflot ! She is certainly in the second category, which I say she can only enjoy as I do the worrying for her

AWEM

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

I think in practice I'm in the second category !!! Dont mean to be, always to busy. Stems from the days of car servicing, if it aint broke, dont mend or touch it !!

In my case, with a Russian wife, I often fly Aeroflot. They have improved the UK-Moscow run, the toilets are inside now!! But internal flights on the Illushin's probably compare to your fairground rides !!!! Bob

Reply to
Emimec

On or around Sun, 14 Oct 2007 07:37:33 +0100, "Emimec" enlightened us thusly:

I do maintenance but not in the way the book says. The engine oil and filters and such get changed according to schedule, 'cos that way the engine lasts longer. Other stuff like lubing door locks gets done every now and then if I notice that they need it :-)

Reply to
Austin Shackles