Dental amalgam?

I wonder what the cost of TiN coated TC crowns would be :-)

"gold teeth" that could bite through a coin. (or at least, strip wire without cracking)

Mark Rand RTFM

Reply to
Mark Rand

But doing things for ourselves is what it is all about.

Reply to
gareth

There's a big difference between snipping and snapping.

eg. Try a bit of 2mm tool steel after quenching but before annealing.

Reply to
gareth

Presumably that was what "Jaws" used in the Bond movies...

Regards, Tony

Reply to
Tony Jeffree

True enough, but it is so easy to get side tracked into making a tool to make a tool to make a tool, that we don't get anything done. At it's worst one can end up re-inventing the wheel!

Cliff.

Reply to
Cliff Coggin

Which is exactly where I am at the moment. I only need a couple of anti-backlash gears and some gear rack for a radio project, and I'm sidetracked into a gera-hobbing machine!

To paraphrase you, from an industrial saying, "When you are up to your arse in alligators, it is easy to forget that you came to drain the swamp" :-)

Reply to
gareth

Strange stuff silver. I wanted to do a bit of fauk damascening on steel, and melted some silver on a charcoal block, then added about its same volume of lead-based solder.

The resulting alloy wouldn't work - club-hammer and anvil made no impression. Zirconium alloys - eat yer heart out!

Reply to
Macabre of Auchterloonie

Amalgam of mercury and silver is non-toxic under normal conditions.

Reply to
Macabre of Auchterloonie

AIUI, it's pure gold (leaf), compressed into the cavity and burnished.

Reply to
Macabre of Auchterloonie

I often strip wire with my teeth.

Ooops! There goes another one!