Drilling

I have a run of steel plates to drill. These will be clamped to the mill table in a sandwich, a 6mm top and bottom, with a 12.7mm bit in the middle. There are 8 holes all 10.2mm dia. to be drilled.

I would normally spot these off, but wonder if there are any recommendations of any stub drills suited to go straight in and through, thus removing an operation. I'll be using an old CNC bridgeport. Accuracy needs to be "acceptable" in the terms of if it had been spotted first, but not to toolroom standards. I was thinking of a four facet pointed Dormer? Thanks Bob

Reply to
Nospam

Just found a selector prog on Dormers site

Reply to
Nospam

A Rotabroach-type cutter would work, but I doubt you'll get one which is 10.2 mm diameter. Probably you'll only get 10 mm diameter, and you'll need an adaptor to hold it in your mill.

Best wishes,

Chris

Reply to
Christopher Tidy