Drummond Round Bed

Hello all you clever peeps,

I'd like to pick the collective wisdom:

Does anyone know what thread is on a Drummond round bed spindle nose? I have acquired a 4 1/2" 4 jaw chuck from that eBay, and now need a back plate to machine up & thread.

Also, where can I find a cast-iron back plate blank? I was thinking of finding some old training weights and turning one of those down, but I think the centre hole will be too big.

Cheers all,

Zed

Reply to
zedbert

Try:-

amongst others.

Mark Rand RTFM

Reply to
Mark Rand

That well known site 'lathes' came up with this

"Although very early examples appear to have had slightly different spindles to later versions with a thread 1.040" in diameter by 14 TPI (with no plain section to act as a register before the abutment face) and bored out to

0.325" rather than 0.375". The spindle was then modified to carry a 7/8"-diameter, 10 TPI thread on the nose and was given a better ground (rather than turned) finish on the bearing surfaces; as standard it was not hollow, but the 0.375" diameter hole could be ordered for a: "small extra cost". Later spindles (fitted to lathes with the headstock spindle running direct in the headstock casting) had a 3/4"-diameter by 10 t.p.i thread with a small plain register about 0.25" long before the abutment face. If your Round Bed differs from these specifications do not be surprised; many have been fitted with replacement spindles over the years and the factory did not seem averse to the occasional experimentation with different details of design."

All you have to do is decide which one you have!

Henry

Reply to
Dragon

Oh. Ah well. Thank you for looking that up for me, I guess a trip to Luton with implements is in order then.

Cheers,

Zed

Reply to
zedbert