1.370" X 24TPI Tap

Anyone got a spare cycle bottom bracket tap they want to sell, RH and LH wanted if possible.

No2 Son is playing with bikes and getting threads crossed....

Peter

-- Peter A Forbes Prepair Ltd, Rushden, UK snipped-for-privacy@easynet.co.uk

Prepair Ltd

On or around Wed, 10 Oct 2007 15:39:10 +0100, Prepair Ltd enlightened us thusly:

ain't got a spare but I can get new ones, they're not cheap though. email me if you're interested (remove the bit that look like it should be removed) and I'll see what sort of price I can do.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

John Stevenson

Thanks, John, and Austin, he's off looking at the Tracy Tools site now, but will be back if he needs more info/help.

Much appreciated!

Peter

Peter A Forbes

Some thread files have a little thingy on the end for doing internal threads, if they are only "slightly" crossed - else you might be paying a heap :(

Reply to
Duracell Bunny

On or around Wed, 10 Oct 2007 20:50:28 +0100, Austin Shackles enlightened us thusly:

should've mentioned, I suppose, that the tool I use is a special one for the job and ensures that the 2 ends are aligned. It's up to making new threads in a blank B/B, just about, although it's hard work, especially if you've not made the B/B completely round and the right size first. I suspect that a suitable reamer would cost several limbs, though... since there's no point in trying to ream it before welding it together.

I make the shell by turning it from a lump of steel tube, but then it has to get welded into a frame and that tends to distort it, so it'd need reaming after fitting. Probably wants and adjustable reamer that you can put in and gradually ream it out to size.

If I did lots of 'em, it'd be worth buying such a beast.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

In a previous existence I was a cycle dealer. I still have some tools! Sell it or loan it whichever suits - heavy to post though.

Reply to
Sandy Morton

No need to buy a tap. Just set the frame up on the faceplate, bore true and single point thread. Don't forget balance weights, especially if you want to take advantage of the cutting speed capabilities of carbide tools.

Reply to
Charles Lamont

wow, how big is your lathe!!! I think it would take about 48" center height to swing a bike frame!!

Dave

Reply to
dave sanderson

He's got a Myford and a small bike

Reply to
John Stevenson

Got four lathes at work that'd do it. No, three come to think of it, the Craven is really a second-op lathe, it doesn't do thread cutting. Got a 5hp toolpost grinder though...

Mark Rand RTFM

Reply to
Mark Rand

Still be able to do it on a Myford with a boring bar between centres.

.
Reply to
John Stevenson

Sandy:

If you have the double-ended tap to sell, Philip would be interested.

Where are you located?

Peter

Peter A Forbes

Yes quite, but Charles wrote: "Just set the frame up on the faceplate" which immediately says swing the frame!

Dave

Reply to
dave sanderson

You take all the fun out of extremism :-)

Mark Rand RTFM

Reply to
Mark Rand

Millport, Isle of Cumbrae, The Bicycle Island!

Reply to
Sandy Morton

Yes, Dave. That was rather the point.

Reply to