Stuart Turner Identification

I have just acquired a Stuart-Turner mains genny set via eBay, item
300158698930. I have been looking for a classic 240V generator for
some time and this was local and really fits the bill - it is my first
stationary engine, though my workshop is mainly 1930 to 1950s machine
tools so its fits in nicely. However I am curious to find out its age,
the model, and what goes on inside (as it works perfectly, and I have
other projects on the go, I am not inclined to take it apart).
There is no plate on the engine, and the generator isn't dated but
must be post war from its design - so I expect its a 1950s unit - but
I would be really pleased if anyone can identify it. There is a plate
on the magneto that I haven't studied yet if this can be used to give
a clue. I assume its not a rare unit as only two people bid for it.
I have put another picture on
[at]
btinternet.com/Stuart/Stuart.jpg
Anyone out there know Stuart's well and can tell me what it is ?
Thanks, Steve
Reply to
Steve
Not enough detail in the photo, you need to show more of it if possible.
The url line is broken as well:
snipped-for-privacy@btinternet.com/Stuart/Stuart.jpg
Peter -- Peter & Rita Forbes Email: snipped-for-privacy@easynet.co.uk Web:
Peter A Forbes
The engine number and the plant number would be the best way of identifying the year. Fairways Marine give an exact dating service altho there is a charge unless you are purchasing spares etc they can also if the unit was ever returned for o/haul give you the life history. Mike.H.
Reply to
Mike.H.
I tried being smart by using (at) instead of @ and I guess the newsgroup software outsmarted me.
Lets try again :
snipped-for-privacy@btinternet.com/Stuart/Stuart.jpg
snipped-for-privacy@btinternet.com/Stuart/Stuart2.jpg
snipped-for-privacy@btinternet.com/Stuart/Stuart3.jpg
There is a plate on the genny - this has Plant number (52254), Genny Number (21975/2) and Switchboard Number (10535) ? I suppose the plant number must be the engine number.
It is plated 230V 1.5 KVA 1500rpm (so I assume its a 2HP engine)
Steve
Reply to
Steve
It wasn't that, Steve, it was the line-wrap on your email programme being set too narrow.
Peter -- Peter & Rita Forbes Email: snipped-for-privacy@easynet.co.uk Web:
Peter A Forbes
"Steve" wrote (snip):-
IF the plant number corresponds to the engine number, then it would fall into a group issued between Aug 1936 (50000) and Apr 1964 (52269) for P5, P5X, P55 and P5XC engines.
As you say though, it is basically a pre-war design, the P5 engine being introduced around 1930.
Nick H
Reply to
Nick H
Steve wrote "I suppose the plant number must be the engine number."
There should be an ID plate somewhere on the engine your pics do not give enough detail but there seems to be something akin to a plate on the casing below the carb. if you can find this number it will allow an approx. dating Mike.H.
Reply to
Mike.H.
I am pretty sure the plant number must be the engine number, after all the alternator and the switchboard have numbers on the plate, and there is precious little else left but the engine - unless 'plant' refers to the entire ensemble. There is no sign of a plate on the engine, or even a location that used to have a plate. So it looks like it is a late P5 genset. Any idea of the differences between P5, P5X and P5XC ?
Steve
Reply to
Steve
"Steve" wrote
I'm fairly sure the P5X engines were those used on aircraft refuelling bowsers and, if it follows the usual S-T nomenclature, the P5XC would have had a centrifugal clutch. The P55 is a twin cylinder version. By the way, given that demand for the non marine P5 would have been pretty low towards the end of that period, those last few numbers could have taken some time to 'use up', so you could be looking at late 1950's - all provisional of course on the assumption that the plant number is the same as the engine number.
Nick H
Reply to
Nick H
Thanks Nick,
I I find any other numbers then I'll let you guys know.
So what goes on in the big lump cast onto the side of the cylinder from which the exhaust emerges ? It looks a fairly straightforward 2- stroke apart from that bit - it has me intrigued.
Steve
Reply to
Steve
(snip) S> So what goes on in the big lump cast onto the side of the cylinder from S> which the exhaust emerges ? It looks a fairly straightforward 2- stroke S> apart from that bit - it has me intrigued.
S> Steve
Nothing very exiting - it's a water jacketed exhaust expansion chamber
nickh=== Posted with Qusnetsoft NewsReader 2.2.0.8
Reply to
nickh
Lister and many others used the Plant No for the whole assembly, not just the engine.
Peter -- Peter A Forbes Prepair Ltd, Rushden, UK snipped-for-privacy@easynet.co.uk
Prepair Ltd