Stale petrol...

Had a nice run up to Andy Greening's place this morning, collected the two Coventry Climax gennies that we did a deal on back at the beginning of the year... got there in the end!

Interesting beasties, one has the alternator alongside the engine (4-Cyl 'SM' Climax) and the other has it on top of the engine, making it very top-heavy.

Loads of metalwork and brackets etc., almost a van load without the two generators, but it all travelled OK on the way back. We missed breakfast this morning so we stopped and had a meal on the way home.

I have a book for the 2.75kVA version of this set, but nothing on the 3-1/2kVA set. I know Andy asked before, but if anyone has anything relevant, please contact me.

The engine is almost as small as the little Kohler, but being a bit more modern has more features and probably more HP.

Got to unload it all tomorrow and see what we are going to do with evetuthing, but initial thoughts are to make up a pair of chassis for them both and build as the one type.

They are 240V 50Hz, so could be useful.

Peter

Peter A Forbes

"Peter A Forbes" wrote (snip):-

How old is the Kohler design? The Coventry Climax SM was built for Swift Motors in the 1920's and, finding themselves with surplus stock when that Co. went pop around 1931, C-C pressed it into service as a stationary unit in which guise it remained in production at least until the end of WWII.

Nick H.

Reply to
Nick H

The earliest Kohler brochure I have is 1925, and they had a fair-sized range by then, so I'd guess at least 5-10 years earlier.

I had an email conversation with Eric Brain last evening, the Swift Motor Co connection is a well-known one, but C-C must have done further development after they acquired the engines and designs.

The meters on one of the units are dated 1955.....

I have taken some picture this morning, I'll get them onto the website later.

Peter

-- Peter A Forbes Prepair Ltd, Rushden, UK snipped-for-privacy@easynet.co.uk

Prepair Ltd

through to

Peter

-- Peter A Forbes Prepair Ltd, Rushden, UK snipped-for-privacy@easynet.co.uk

Prepair Ltd

Oh to get it right first time!!

through to

Peter

-- Peter A Forbes Prepair Ltd, Rushden, UK snipped-for-privacy@easynet.co.uk

Prepair Ltd

"Prepair Ltd" wrote(snip):-

The engine designed and built by Coventry Climax (for the 8hp Cadet?), C-C at that time being a major supplier of proprietary engines to the car industry. But yes, I imagine some development work was done to better suit it to its new role.

Nick H

Reply to
Nick H

Would be nice to see an original Swift engine, as these have a Morris Minor starter motor, big mechanical governor, full-flow oil filter and the centrifugal water pump probably wouldn't have been needed on the car.

Just been stripping off the excess metal structure around one of them, mainly to reduce height but also so I can get at the vitals!

There's a van load of metalwork that Andy loaded up, haven't looked at that lot yet.