Electrical problem

Can anyone help with advice on a peculiar electrical problem? My house is fitted with an earth trip breaker. In the workshop, I have a circuit
with four small fluorescent lamps. Of late, when I switch these lamps off, the circuit breaker has been coming out. The lamps work normally and there is no problem when I switch on - only when I switch off.. Any ideas ? Jim Lugsden
__________ Information from ESET Smart Security, version of virus signature database 4172 (20090619) __________
http://www.eset.com

i would replace the switch ..cheap and simple to do .. may have crap in it ..causing arcing
and may cure the problem for good.
if it don't ..then others more knowledgeable than me will answer.
all the best.markj

house
circuit
lamps
normally
Any
signature database 4172 (20090619) __________

Inductive spike from the choke inducing an earth current - the main rcd sees an imbalance. Your workshop is a long way down the garden, do you export the house earth, or do you have a separate earth spike down there?
AWEM

Firstly let me say I'm no electrician. I too suffer from the same problem on occasion, but only when the lamp units have become damp in certain climatic conditions - I just live with it.
However, it's my understanding that lighting circuits don't need RCD protection, so can you re-wire around the problem? Failing that if you wire the lights via a couple of switches, so you don't have to power them up all in one hit, then that should help with spikes and surges etc....
Julian.
Thanks for all the gen,chaps, it would seem that I am not the only one with the problem. The workshop's earthed from the house via the long overhead cable ,Andrew, and via an additional earth pin in the ground at the workshop end. Its been like this for over a year without a problem 'till a couple of weeks ago The whole system is protected by the earth trip so I can't isolate the lights,Julian. One good thing has come out of the investigation though. On looking in the consumer unit to check the earth (or earths) I found a cooked fuse holder ,unblown fuse but with a very burnt holder. Presumably the screw was loose on the wire. It's not on the light circuit so I can't see that it caused the problem, but as my dad used to say "Electricity is funny stuff " Regards to All, Jim

__________ Information from ESET Smart Security, version of virus signature database 4172 (20090619) __________
http://www.eset.com
James Lugsden wrote:

At least you know how to trip it ;) I've been getting the power tripping a couple of times a week and having now unhooked most things there is not a lot left other than the armoured cable going down and the earth spike :( It least it is on a separate ELCB to the rest of the house.
--
Lester Caine - G8HFL
-----------------------------

I was uunintentionally up at 4.30 this morning after I noticed the power tripped out during the night. Not sure what did it but it's annoying.
However, It has been apparant over the past 12 months or so that the laptop power supplies (and we have 4 laptops in the house) frequently trip either the MCB or RCD or sometimes both when they are switched on.
Peter

The point, of course, is that if the 30mA RCDs become such a monumental pain in the arse that the only workable choice is to circumvent them, then anyone with the ability will do so. At which point you might as well have a 100A supply wired directly.
Trying to remove the last 0.000000000000001% of risk at the expense of the first 99.999999999999999% is just bloody stupid. And when the Powers That Be get that message I, for one, will rejoice.
The champagne is (at present) not on ice.
--
Nigel

When the only tools you have are an X3 mill, a

I certainly sympathise with that. The underlying philosophy seems to be everywhere, but particularly in the present practice for earthing everything in sight; my own personal pet hate is central heating radiators - usually plumed in copper to boot. (Oh and bloody kitchen sinks!) When the hell did you last hear of someone being electrocuted by a radiator that had mysteriously suddenly became live FFS! </rant>
Richard
Richard Shute wrote:

I agree to some extent but do know someone that got shocks off there central heating system. A section of their central heating become live due to improper earthing and mods. Someone had replaced a section of copper with plastic and hadn't earthed the newly isolated copper section. Due to another problem the isolated section came into contact with live mains and as no earth was present the RCD wasn't tripped. No one was injured in this case and the fault was found and fixed but it does show why some of the requirements exist.
Richard Shute wrote:

First things first, i'm a Power Electronics Engineer, and I have attended during my career numerous safety training seminars.
During one of these I was told once that a six year old girl had to physically blow a 13 amp fuse in a standard lamp which had not been earthed, and the brasswork had become directly live because her dear old loving grandad had'nt bothered to wire it properly and the live pole insulation had been nicked during re-assembly of the lamp. The thickness of the carpet had provided enough insuation for the potential at the lamp not to be noticed ordinarily.
She was playing hide and seek behind a sofa, and got across from the Lamp to a Radiator. I bet the smell was truly abhorrent. Some of you guys take what I can only describe as a cavalier attitude. I'm honestly surprised some of you are still alive.
These nuisance RCD trips you all speak of so you all derogatorily would have more than likely saved the poor little sods life.
I expect some or all of you will flame me but this is from experience of knowing how dangerous this stuff can be when it's out of control.
Rob.