Installing a Light Fixture - Wiring

I have a general question, which might sound ridiculous, but I just want to make sure about something.

I understand that when you wire a light fixture there are two wires, black (hot) white (neutral).

Now, if I just wired the light fixture with connecting only the white wire and not the black wire, would the light fixture still turn on? or if I wired it with white and not with black, would it still turn on?

Thank you kindly, N.

Reply to
NA

Now this introduces an interesting philosophical question.

Just as, "if a tree falls in a forest with no one to hear it, then does it make a sound?", then you could also ask, "if a light fixture switch is put to the on position with no wires or only one wire connected to it, is it turned on?"

Depending on your view of the above, then you could indeed say a light fixture could be turned on, even though it had only one wire connected.

Like most philosophical questions, the result is much heat (in your case, you would need to operate the switch frequently to produce an observable effect) but very little illumination.

HTH

Reply to
Palindr☻me

Thank you for your response.

The reason I ask is because I installed a light fixture in my bedroom. I am not sure if the black wires were twisted together or not in the wire nut, it seems that one wire went down farther than the other in the wire nut.

The light seems to work perfectly fine. So would it work perfectly fine, even if the black wire was not connected?

Thank you, N.

Reply to
NA

Are you stoned?!?

The reason I ask is because I installed a light fixture in my bedroom. I am not sure if the black wires were twisted together or not in the wire nut, it seems that one wire went down farther than the other in the wire nut.

The light seems to work perfectly fine. So would it work perfectly fine, even if the black wire was not connected?

Thank you, N.

Reply to
Brian

Not that I know of.

I said in my first post that it might sound ridiculous. But I just have a simple question and if someone can give me an answer I would greatly appreciate it.

All I want to know is this:

If I install a light fixture and connect the white wires but not the black wires, will the fixture work at full capacity?

Sorry, I am not very smart, I have an extremely low IQ level.

Thank you, N.

Reply to
NA

Only if the light in question was a fluorescent type and you live in close proximity to a large rf transmitter. Except that you wouldn't be able to switch it off. If it goes on and off every second or so - a house move to further away from the dockyard or airbase is worth considering.

If it stays alight with even the main house circuit breaker tripped, then I suggest replacing all your lamps with fluorescent types and save yourself a fortune in electricity.

If the transmitter is big enough and close enough to light normal filament lamps, you are probably in the zone for saving much more money than that - children can be very expensive.

Reply to
Palindr☻me

Ok then, in short a normal light fixture would not work if the black wire was not attached because it is the "hot" wire.

Thank you very much for your patience with my asinine question. I just wanted to be sure and safe.

Thank you, N.

Reply to
NA

no, it would do absolutely nothing at all. if you install a faucet to the sink but you don't connect the water line underneath it, will it still pour out water ? the black (hot) wire is the water line, the white wire is the spout, without it connected you'd get no illumination };-) and no water @ the spout., unless it's a trick faucet with it's own water.

why the heck would you ask a thing like that ?

Reply to
Roy Q.T.

you would be alot safer to think the light could work with one wire connected. as a matter of fact, you shouldnt even look at those wires. sometimes the white wire is hot (switch let) when the switch is on.

Reply to
sandman

Hire a licensed, trained electrician. If you are that unsure, you will not be able to safely use any replies you get from this newsgroup.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Shymanski

Thank you everyone.

N.

Reply to
NA

Sounds ridiculous, but when I installed a light fixture I wasn't sure if the black wire was secure enough in the wire nut. But I guess since the fixture works then the black wire is obviously connected :)

Another ridiculous question, so if the black wire is connected and the white wire is not, then the fixture would still not work?

What if the black or white wire within the fixture came undone some how, would this cause a fire?

Thanks, yes I'm an idiot, but I am a curious idiot. I know nothing about electricity, so curiosity at the risk of looking foolish is necessary for me :)

Thanks, N.

Reply to
William T.