Elliott Milmor or Omnimil1250 manual?

We got the turret/overarm/head onto my machine this afternoon, I'd cut the cable when separating the machine for loading so I was playing about with the controls with no power, found that I'd brought down the quill & it wouldn't return. For one reason or another (I've rewired it & tried it under power now) there seems to be some sort of conflict of interest within the head. I've no idea whether it's an existing fault or something that's been brought on by my actions, but one way or another it needs sorting, I'm going to have to take the thing apart. Does anyone reading this have any experience of these heads, or access to a manual which covers the head, or know someone who has one which can be bought, begged, stolen, copied etc? The head seems to be the same as used on some models of the Milmor, which seems to be more common than the Omnimil (as at

Note for Martin:- email me your snail mail address ( my email works if you remove the obvious). I've established that the knee is quite stiff, I'll have to check the gib adjustments, & the knee rapid does work if you pull hard enough on the handle. Seriously hard, something not as it should be.

TIA

Tim

Reply to
Tim L

Are you sure that you have not inadvertently engaged the quill auto feed? Worked a colleagues TOS once and spent 10 minutes pulling and pressing before I got it disengaged.

Richard

Reply to
Richard Edwards

I'm not *sure*, but get the feeling there's more to it than that. A book of words & pictures giving some indication of what's supposed to happen would be a great help.

Cheers Tim

Reply to
Tim L

Mystery/problem solved.

We had inverted the head as part of the process of getting the top assembly back into place. The drawbar was supplied loose from the machine, but would have fallen out anyway at this stage. There is a washer which sits under the drawbar nut, inside the splined tube which drives the backgear. It had remained in place when the drawbar was removed. At some stage in the moving process this washer became dislodged and jammed between the top of the quill and the backgear drive tube which it was supposed to sit inside, thereby messing up the operation of the backgear and preventing the return of the quill.

Luckily it could be resolved by putting the head on its side, removing the motor and belt housing, then access to the backgearing was fairly straightforward without having to delve further into the mysteries of the auto quill feed or disturbing the quill bearings etc.

I'd still very much like to find a manual for the head, though.

Tim

Reply to
Tim L