Exhaust gasket material

Putting the big generator back together now I've got my soundproofing sorted, and find that the exhaust flange gaskets are not reusable
(originally probably asbestos I think) and am thus looking for a source of suitable material. I've found an online supplier who will sell me a 30 foot roll (at an undisclosed price!) but I only need two 7 1/2" disks and a 6" triangle !
Any suggestions for a suitable source ?
AWEM
Andrew Mawson wrote:

Try Solent Gaskets, thats who I use.
Wayne....

That engine is still current in the Cargo truck and they used to sell just the head gaskets and exhaust gaskets separately. Try an Iveco truck agent. -- Regards,
John Stevenson Nottingham, England.

soundproofing
will
two
sell
John,
The flange gaskets are for the external exhaust silencer fittings which I think are specific to the genny rather than the truck. They seem to be standard 4 hole circular flanges (o/d 7.5") that you see on steam and water piping in industrial installations.
AWEM

If you give OD, PCD,ID, and bolt hole diameter I can look for a standard size that matches.
--
Regards Jonathan

remove AT to reply

They
see on

standard
Jonathan,
That is very kind. The o/d = 7.25". The I/D = 3.25". The PCD is 5.75". The bolts are 5/8".There are two of these gaskets in the system. I don't know what temperature they actually need to stand up to but the exhaust runs very hot - easily burning hand temp!
AWEM
On Sat, 20 May 2006 20:18:21 +0100, "Andrew Mawson"

Web: http://www.oldengine.org/members/diesel

,
My best match... od 184.2, pcd 146, holes 17.5 ( 8 hole ) for 2 1/2" nominal bore ( 73 mm od ) pipes. This is a BS 10, table H, 2 1/2" flange.
steam pipes on high pressure systems work at over F 1000, so you stand a fair chance with a steam gasket.
Regards Jonathan

fittings
you
5.75".
the
nominal
stand a

Jonathan,
Many thanks. Charles Ping has come up with a source of the right material, so I will make them myself whilst holding my breath to avoid the asbestos <G>
AWEM
Andrew Mawson wrote:

Do they still sell Holts gun gum? I suppose you could use that as a last resort if nothing else suitable, don't know if it would be enough to stand the heat though. Dave Baker may have a better idea seeing as he is a bit of an engine guru.
Also curious as to what you found to use for the soundproofing?
Peter

soundproofing
will
two
enough
as
Peter,
I bought 32mm 'Sealglass' from Halyard Marine (superb service but yet to find out how effective as a noise barrier!) : http://www.halyard.eu.com/products/insulation/insulation1.html
AWEM
On Sat, 20 May 2006 17:28:29 +0100, "Andrew Mawson"

I'd be seriously worried about a firm that offers silencers that reduce noise by 40%. I'm not sure it would be worth the extra joints in the exhaust pipe for just 2dB. Do you think that someone's got the wrong numbers?
Mark Rand RTFM

yet
reduce noise

exhaust pipe

It's not getting the luxury of a new silencer - have you seen the price they are charging !!! It'll have to make do with the old one with a lick of high temp barbeque paint <G>
AWEM
On Sat, 20 May 2006 12:30:36 +0100, "Andrew Mawson"

Might have some suitable material. I think that I bought a *big* roll a while back. I'll have a look.
Charles
On Sat, 20 May 2006 13:32:18 +0100, Charles Ping

Sorry Andrew - seem to have used it up. It's cork sheet that I have on the roll. You could try here: (scroll to the bottom) http://www.woolies-trim.co.uk/misc.html
Charles

on
Charles,
Excellent ! never thought that they'd have it - I've used them before for the Healey.
AWEM