Exhaust gasket material

Putting the big generator back together now I've got my soundproofing sorted, and find that the exhaust flange gaskets are not reusable (originally probably asbestos I think) and am thus looking for a source of suitable material. I've found an online supplier who will sell me a 30 foot roll (at an undisclosed price!) but I only need two

7 1/2" disks and a 6" triangle !

Any suggestions for a suitable source ?

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

Try Solent Gaskets, thats who I use.

Wayne....

Reply to
Wayne Weedon

Do they still sell Holts gun gum? I suppose you could use that as a last resort if nothing else suitable, don't know if it would be enough to stand the heat though. Dave Baker may have a better idea seeing as he is a bit of an engine guru.

Also curious as to what you found to use for the soundproofing?

Peter

Reply to
Peter Neill

That engine is still current in the Cargo truck and they used to sell just the head gaskets and exhaust gaskets separately. Try an Iveco truck agent.

-- Regards,

John Stevenson Nottingham, England.

John Stevenson

Might have some suitable material. I think that I bought a *big* roll a while back. I'll have a look.

Charles

Reply to
Charles Ping

Sorry Andrew - seem to have used it up. It's cork sheet that I have on the roll. You could try here: (scroll to the bottom)

Charles

Reply to
Charles Ping

soundproofing

John,

The flange gaskets are for the external exhaust silencer fittings which I think are specific to the genny rather than the truck. They seem to be standard 4 hole circular flanges (o/d 7.5") that you see on steam and water piping in industrial installations.

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

soundproofing

enough

Peter,

I bought 32mm 'Sealglass' from Halyard Marine (superb service but yet to find out how effective as a noise barrier!) :

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

Charles,

Excellent ! never thought that they'd have it - I've used them before for the Healey.

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

"Andrew Mawson"

If you give OD, PCD,ID, and bolt hole diameter I can look for a standard size that matches.

Reply to
Jonathan Barnes

standard

Jonathan,

That is very kind. The o/d = 7.25". The I/D = 3.25". The PCD is 5.75". The bolts are 5/8".There are two of these gaskets in the system. I don't know what temperature they actually need to stand up to but the exhaust runs very hot - easily burning hand temp!

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

We have a large piece of highly illegal graphited asbestos, 1/16" thick in the workshop, give me a shout if you get stuck, but you'll have to cut out the bits you need if we supply blanks near to size.

Peter

Peter A Forbes

I'd be seriously worried about a firm that offers silencers that reduce noise by 40%. I'm not sure it would be worth the extra joints in the exhaust pipe for just 2dB. Do you think that someone's got the wrong numbers?

Mark Rand RTFM

Reply to
Mark Rand

exhaust pipe

It's not getting the luxury of a new silencer - have you seen the price they are charging !!! It'll have to make do with the old one with a lick of high temp barbeque paint

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

,

My best match... od 184.2, pcd 146, holes 17.5 ( 8 hole ) for 2 1/2" nominal bore ( 73 mm od ) pipes. This is a BS 10, table H, 2 1/2" flange.

steam pipes on high pressure systems work at over F 1000, so you stand a fair chance with a steam gasket.

Regards Jonathan

Reply to
Jonathan Barnes

message

fittings

Jonathan,

Many thanks. Charles Ping has come up with a source of the right material, so I will make them myself whilst holding my breath to avoid the asbestos

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson