Extracting Stainless pin from aluminium

I have to remove a stainless pin from an aluminium casting, and it's stuck. The pin is like a nail and is through a hinge pin to hold it in. the pin is pushed through and then the end was bent over to stop it coming out. I unbent the end and tried to push it out, but access from thet side is tricky. It wouldn't budge. So I ground the head of and used a punch to try and push it through the other way, still wouldn't budge. Tried to drill it but can't get square on to the end due to access problems. Anyone got a good suggestion?

In case anyone is familiar with it this is the pin holding the hinge pin in the gimbal ring on mercruiser 165 drive.

Thanks Kevin

Reply to
Kevin

Can you get any heat on the job?

The expansion rates of the two metals are quite different and a bit of heat may "break the seal" and allow you to tap it out.

Brian

Reply to
Brian Reay.

In article , Brian Reay. writes

Failing that, do you know anyone with an spark eroder?

David

Reply to
David Littlewood

In a similar vein...might be worth electrolytic removal...I hear tell that if you anodise a piece of ally that has steel bits inserted in it, the steel dissolves during the anodising.

Regards, Tony

Reply to
Tony Jeffree