Faulty Drill

Hi All

Bought a brand new pillar drill (Clarke) recently but when I came to using it I noticed that the drill was running the 'wrong way', i.e., anti-clockwise instead of clockwise.

Okay, it's under warrantee and it's in the service depot for repair, but I'm fascinated why the motor was turning the wrong way. The motor is a single-phase 500W mains model.

I know it isn't a simple matter of reversing the + & - connections as the motor will still turn the same way.

Is there some kind of 'initiation' process that dictates the motors direction during manufacture? There appears to be 2 large capacitors bolted to the motor casing, so could the capacitors be wired wrongly?

Regards;

Dave

Reply to
Dave

capacitors bolted

There will be a start winding and a run winding, and the direction depends on the relative phase of the two, so to reverse it, the two ends of the start winding need interchanging.

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

On or around Wed, 17 Dec 2008 13:10:18 -0000, "Dave" enlightened us thusly:

yes.

See other post(s) for detail.

I assume it's not got a forward-reverse function.

gwan, wind machine mart up by asking for l-h-cutting drill bits to put in your new machine...

Reply to
Austin Shackles

It could be the run capacitor has failed or bad connection etc ,common symtom of this is to run in reverse in my experience ,generally though at a low speed with no torque .......just an informed guess ,or the start relay may have thrown one !!!that would not be unheard of .................

Reply to
Chillybilly

No, forward only.

Yes, I did wind up the 'plank' (thick as a short one) that works there about l/h drills which went way over his head.

Reply to
Dave

It could be the run capacitor has failed or bad connection etc ,common symtom of this is to run in reverse in my experience ,generally though at a low speed with no torque .......just an informed guess ,or the start relay may have thrown one !!!that would not be unheard of .................

Strange for that to happen to a brand new pillar drill that has had no use. Surely, they should have tested it before being despatched to the retailer. Dave

Reply to
Dave

UPDATE: All appears well now. MachineMart took the drill head in for repair. They replaced the motor, but when I went to pick the drill up I noticed that the top of the pulley housing was very badly scratched. They replaced the complete drill head with a brand new unit straight out of the box and without question. Fair do to MachineMart (for once). Dave

Reply to
Dave