Three phase creeps tantilisingly close !

Well, it looks as though I may actually get a three phase 160 amp service into my workshop sometime soonish. EDF agreed to cable an
overhead suppply as a quid pro quo for access to their poles when they 'reconducter' the local network from individual 3p&n cables to a bunched one. (We have eleven of their poles on our land). Was supposed to happen in August, then 1st week of Dec - maybe now in time as a Christmas present! They've surveyed the poles (they passed muster) They've surveyed the trees, needed trimming. They've trimmed the trees. And today I got issued with the all important MPAN number, so am able to apply for meters. No cable yet mind !!!
You'd think it was easy, having a wacking great 11kV to 415v transformer up on a pair of pole 30 foot from the workshop in the middle of the wifes vegetable patch!
AWEM
On Wed, 17 Dec 2008 17:42:43 -0000, "Andrew Mawson"

The heading made me wonder whether there was something tantalising about 3-phase creeps <groan>
I'm curious about the quid pro quo bit, isn't there some sort of wayleave which allows them access in perpetuity?
We have one 11kV pole in our garden, and a transformer on the next pole which supplies us with 240V and Network rail with 3-phase, when we bought the house it was so fraught & long-winded dealing with British Waterways that I was reluctant to cause any more delays or complications by asking about wayleaves, they just come & check or fix it when they need to (after knocking on the door to check). I don't suppose access to one pole would get us far in the quid pro quo stakes !
Tim

they
time
trimmed
number,
when
fix
Tim,
It seems that they had forgotten to get wayleaves set up back in whenever the poles went in - I've seen photos dating from the mid 30's where an HV line crossed the property. I must admit I didn't check when we bought the place as we didn't want our buyers to escape!
AWEM
On Thu, 18 Dec 2008 14:29:28 -0000, "Andrew Mawson"

B' Hell you have already sold it? <G>
Richard
Tim L wrote:

I think I have met a few of them. They would be tantalisingly close if they were just out of range.
--
Charles Lamont

On Wed, 17 Dec 2008 17:42:43 -0000, "Andrew Mawson"

Great idea - pre-cooked veg...
Regards, Tony

Good to have some collateral to argue with.
My favorite was the guy who went down to the council offices demanding to talk about the speed camera that had appeared outside his house. "you won't get it moved you know, been through planning and all properly approved". To which the wonderful response was "Oh, I don't want it removed, I just want to agree how much rent you will be paying, since it's my land it's on..." The camera disappeared shortly after.

they
time
trimmed
number,
demanding to

"you won't

approved".
I just

it's
..he he .. round here one was taken down when a local complained that it was taking photos of his daughters bedroom!
Turns out EDF are running a 225 amp / 95mm overhead to the barn, then fusing it down to 160amp in the meter box - I've just had to increase the size of the hole through the wall as they want 70mm tails to the meter - they're going to take some bending I suspect! Certainly took some buying - about 75 for two metres tp&n.
AWEM

Get the really flexable tails,if they come that small.Look like double insulated welding cable.Difficult to get into the cut-out terminals though as the strands flare out when the insulation is stripped back.Easier to take the terminals out the cut-out,fit to the cable and refit. Other thing is,I notice a lot of you guy buy from TLC,I can never get good prices out them and the prices on their website are atrocious.Most of my local wholesalers are far cheaper and no delivery charges. Mark.

then
increase
Get the really flexable tails,if they come that small.Look like double insulated welding cable.Difficult to get into the cut-out terminals though as the strands flare out when the insulation is stripped back.Easier to take the terminals out the cut-out,fit to the cable and refit. Other thing is,I notice a lot of you guy buy from TLC,I can never get good prices out them and the prices on their website are atrocious.Most of my local wholesalers are far cheaper and no delivery charges. Mark.
Thanks for the tips Mark. In fairness TLC don't charge delivery and in the small quantities I buy in they seem relatively competative. Screwfix often beat them on common items but for more obscure things they seem ok.
AWEM
On 17 Dec, 17:42, "Andrew Mawson"

My brother lives on a small holding with no electricity although he has wooden poles that carry 33Kv to the local iron works on his land [ no transformers ]
First quote he had for running a supply was 64,000 when he told EMEB that he couldn't afford that and to keep warm he's have to chop these big wooden poles down with a chain saw to burn it dropped to 4,000
Only problem is they have to run across a load of allotments and they need permission from the owners, many of whom are untraceable so that's reached a dead end and he's in stale mate with them by refusing them access and tying his mad dog up to the poles.
John S.
John S wrote:

I thought all the poles had gone now they realised there are less jobs here than back home.
On Sat, 20 Dec 2008 16:01:35 +0000, Cliff Ray

...probably fed up with people tying mad dogs up to them, as well.
Tim
probably worth Czeching how Hungary the dog is.....
ttfn
--
Roland Craven
Nr. Exeter, Devon, UK

Arghhh.
Jokes like that could drive me back to Strictly Come Dancing....
Charles

"Back to", that's a bit of a give away :-))
Henry
On Sat, 20 Dec 2008 21:50:38 -0000, "Dragon"

Only because my wife was watching it......
Charles