First three phase supply.

When, and where, was the world's first three phase public supply?

Reply to
furles

When, and where, was the world's first three phase public supply?

Reply to
furles

I believe Tesla patented 3 phase supply and it would have been sold to Westinghouse. Westinghouse generated the first ac power at Niagra and it was transmitted to Buffalo (from memory) 20 miles away anyway. c.

1895 I do not think the biographies that I have read said that it was 3 phase. Some other guy in Europe illegally generated and transmitted ac power but I doubt that it was 3 phase.

You could also try Columbian Exposition in Chicago 1893 and Colorado Springs were Tesla used ac power to energise his radio experiments. I hope that can help you. Malcolm.

Reply to
mdall

Illegally? You can't patent the laws of physics...well, at least you couldn't in 1895.

The first generators at Niagara were 2-phase.

First 3-phase transmission (between cities) was at Lauffen, Germany in 1891.

A very good book to read on this would be "Networks of Power" by Thomas Hughes.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Shymanski

| Illegally? You can't patent the laws of physics...well, at least you | couldn't in 1895.

In the USA, a certain pro-corporation political party would be happy to see anything patented if it meant someone (especially one of their own) could make (by diverting) money off of it.

Reply to
phil-news-nospam