Help needed - Altivar VFD & 3-Phase Motor Connections

I have a suitable 3-phase motor that I picked up from e-bay, and a brand new Altivar ATV11 VFD that came into my possession when the factory shut down, and I want to use these on my ML7.

The connection as shown is straightforward enough, but I want to use a remote panel with on/off; forward/reverse; and a speed control pot mounted somewhere close to hand. I don't want to have to step through the menu panel on the VFD each time to use these basic functions

So my question is how do I achieve this? Scanning the Google archives seems to indicate that all I need are a couple of switches and a pot from RS, and 2-wire connection.

Being (as you probably all know by now) an electrical ignoramus, can somebody guide me through this step-by-step with a detailed list of what I need and where/how to connect the relevant bits?

Another question I have concerns the VFD mounting. I would like to put it in an enclosure safe from flying debris and fluid, but the Altivar manual states that I have to mount it on a backplate 10mm thick with an area of either 0.12 mt sq if it is steel, or 0.09 mt sq if aluminium for heat dissipation. Is this really required bearing in mind the thing has a huge heatsink & fan on the back of it? Thanks

Peter

Reply to
Peter Neill

No it's know as 3 wire connection and you have picked the worse invertor know to man.

The inverter is actually OK it's the book, originally written in Serbo Croat, translated into the russian and then translated back into french after being smuggled out. Problem was pages 21 to 37 were left behind at Chernobyl.

I'll dig a book and look, then email you.

Ignore it, that's the bit that relates to fitting in nuclear subs.

-- Regards,

John Stevenson Nottingham, England.

John Stevenson

Thanks John, appreciate the help.

Peter

Reply to
Peter Neill

Are Altivar VFD still available? I remember using couple of them long time ago. They were ok, not great.

I now use ABB, FUJI or Hitachi vfds. They have much better built quality.

damiendf