High temp Oven

Hello group I am after some thoughts.

I have a Genlab high temp oven, similar to this shown at

it was for welding rods to heat them or dry them prior to use. It has a temperature controller on the top that goes up to 450 degrees C. Quite a large unit runs off 240 Volts and has two elements in it of 1 KW each, so 2 KW worth of heating.

I have not really used the unit except to heat up a tub of dip over the past 12 or so months.

I need to find another use for the unit, other then be a bench for all the clutter.

If I get back into stick welding it would be a good thing to have but it needs to justify its garage space, so I need lateral ideas other then using it for house cooking. Does the temp range allow for suitable tempering? Anyone got better ideas?

Cheers

Adrian

Reply to
Adrian Hodgson

Powder Coating Oven Stove Enamelling Plastics moulding/Curing

Loads more I'm sure...

Peter

Peter A Forbes

You don't usually need temps that high for drying welding rods, usual recommended temps for that are in the range 100 to 200C. If you want to save garage space & not lose that facility, I've got a spare welding rod heated 'quiver' which would do for most purposes. To you, my boy....

I know, you really want an excuse to keep it, not to get rid of it.

Cheers Tim Dutton Dry-Dock Traditional & Modern canal craft repairs Vintage diesel engine service

Reply to
Tim Leech

I have thought of the powder coating, but then when I looked at all the de-greasing required and building a chamber to suspend hot articles whilst air fluidising the powder, I gave up on the idea. If I want black powder coating I can put articles through with some of works equipment.

Stove Enamelling I always assumed that was high temp like in glass enamelling will have to look that up. Plastics at around 125 to 140 degrees C yes it could be used to mold plastic over basic forms, ie build something in wood place a perpex sheet over the top and heat until it molded around it.

That might just work, I need to come up with a better chuck guard for the lathe!.

Oh by the way any interest in some marine engine books and a few general Petter op handbooks Peter. Bet you will already have them though PH PAZ1 and A1-AP1.

Cheers

adrian

Reply to
Adrian Hodgson

Hi Tim;

It was set for around the 180 mark when I got it but loosen the screw and turn the dial.

What would you like for the quiver, is it 240 or 110 and is there adjustment? So many questions?

email if you wish, just remove spamtrap.

Adrian

Reply to
Adrian Hodgson

Smoking kippers ?

Reply to
Adrian Godwin

I bet the local cats would be around for that, But no I think I will pass on that

Adrian

Reply to
Adrian Hodgson

Never tried smoking kippers - the cigarette papers weren't large enough...

Regards, Tony

Reply to
Tony Jeffree

Hot blacking.

.

-- Regards,

John Stevenson Nottingham, England.

John Stevenson

.... Now't wrong with the smell of Kippers

.... damn softy southerners I reckon !

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

Almost everyone is a southerner to you arn't they Andrew?

Smoked kippers, Ughhh!

Adrian

Reply to
Adrian Hodgson

Well as an ex patriot Yorkshireman living in Kent, not really !

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

I'll check and see, I know we have most of the modern Petter handbooks, but there's always the occasional one that escapes...

PH for example came in air-cooled (PH) or water-cooled (PHW)

Peter

Peter A Forbes

Well I must appologise most unreservibly! Old age is taking is toll and the old grey cells are getting fewer by the minute.

I have confused you with a canny Scot. I would be thinking or Moray I believe.

And as I am in Lancashire then you must be a southerner!

Now as you are in Kent, I am thinking of buying and old Stuart Turner marine engine and I wonder if ...... No must not wife would not understand wanting to buy old scrap metal!!!

Cheers

Adrian

Reply to
Adrian Hodgson

It is an air cooled handbook.

The other two books I have are in hardback. Marine Diesel engines Fifth edition by C C Pounder. VGC.

This describes M.A.N. Sulzer, Fiat, Doxford etc, Faults maintenance etc.

I would describe this as a general reference book. Printed 1972.

Second is an older book MacGibbon's

M.o.T Orals and Marine Engineering Knowledge Steam and Motor.

Printed by James Munro and Co Glasgow. Yellowing pages. Not found a date but an advert is in old money and in the opening pages describes reproduction drawings of the Taylor Gravity Davit as fitted to the RMS Queen Mary.

I have no value attached to these as I picked them up from a flee market stall in the lakes for probably £2 all in and have proved a good read, but the information in them is wasted on me and if anyone in the group has a real interest then they are welcome to them, just arrange pick-up or collection or what ever.

You have first refusal Peter.

Cheers

Adrian

Reply to
Adrian Hodgson

Turner

If I can help with the engine let me know

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson