How does this clutch assembly work?

I'm not entirely sure how that clutch assembly works.

It comes from a dismantled induction motor.

I don't know why we have two sets of gears and I don't know where the spring washer went. (I know there was one originally).

Thanks for any explanations. Rich

Reply to
Richard

Presumably the ratchet will work if the mechanism is reversed - so if you turn off the motor and the machine continues "freewheeling" the ratchet will ttansmit torque to the motor shaft using an unfavourable gear ratio to increase the braking effect.

Or maybe not.

Russell

Reply to
Russell

Rich

I would suspect that it is a 2 speed drive and should work as follows.

Clutch not engaged. G3 freewheels on Shaft 2. Shaft 1 driven via G4 and G2. G2 connected to Shaft 1 via ratchet, which should be engaged.

Clutch engaged. G3 connected to Shaft 2 and drives Shaft 1 via G1. Since G3/G1 is a step-up ratio from Shaft 2 to Shaft 1 and G4/G2 is a step-down ratio, Shaft 1 will be driven at a speed whereby the ratchet in G2 will free-wheel. G4 and G2 will continue to revolve but to no drive effect.

Of course, to work like this, the drive to Shaft 2 must be in the correct direction. Are you sure that it is ?

Andy

Reply to
houstonceng

G2 contains a 1-way ratchet.

When the clutch is not engaged, shaft 1 is driven by G2 through the ratchet.

When the clutch is engaged, , shaft 1 is driven by G1, and accellerated to faster than G2 is turning so the rathet clutch slips.

Pete.

Reply to
Pete

CLUTCH ASSEMBLY X X X X X

--------------X-----X------| |PULLEY SHAFT1 X X X X X G1 G2

X | | X X

Reply to
Richard

And exactly what I said as well - but before Pete did. Credit where credit's due please guys ! Andy

Reply to
houstonceng

True, and after I posted I thought, well, Andy actually got it right and said it first. :c)

Reply to
Richard