How sealed is a sealed bearing

I have an oily problem with a dynamo on an old engine. Oil leaks from the engine, past the drive gear, lubricates a ball bearing (which it is supposed to do), defeats a felt seal and then soaks the dynamo windings.

If I replace the ball bearing (an RLS4) with a sealed version will this stop the oil flow and negate the need for the felt seal? I figure that if the seals can keep the lubricant in the bearing then they should be stop the oil even getting to the felt seal let alone the windings.

Comments?

Charles

Charles Ping

Charles

I suspect a modern 'sealed' bearing will significantly reduce the oil flow through the bearing. However, another option I know to have been successfully used in similar situations is for the felt to be immersed in hot tallow (candle fat) prior to installation!

It's worked for me in the past when it was used very successfully on leaky wheel bearing felts which leaked onto thee brake shoes of an older car.

Reply to
Chris Edwards

How much crankcase pressure is there from the engine?

A sealed bearing will be fine.

Peter

-- Peter A Forbes Prepair Ltd, Rushden, UK snipped-for-privacy@prepair.co.uk

Peter A Forbes

almost none - it vents all over the place (lately all over the magneto)

Charles

Reply to
Charles Ping

Charles,

A sealed bearing is only as good as the seal which is fixed but the inner must still rotate therefore there must be a gap. The seal is generally to retain the grease and keep out the dirt.

Reply to
campingstoveman

a Z (shielded) bearing will have a gap, but an RS (Rubber seal) bearing won't have a gap. A 2RS bearing is probably indicated in this application,

Mark Rand RTFM

Reply to
Mark Rand

Mark, Agreed but oil pressure will break through over time.

Martin P

Reply to
campingstoveman

"campingstoveman" schreef in bericht news: snipped-for-privacy@bt.com...

As written previously, they are only to keep dirt out and grease in. I only know of the black rubber oil/grease sealing rings.for this purpose. Dirk

Reply to
PG1D/PA-11Ø12