How should I make this?

That's the most sense I have yet seen on this topic.

Reply to
Charles Lamont

316 Se/ EN58JM/ 326S36

free(er) cutting 316 stainless ;-)

Mark Rand RTFM

Reply to
Mark Rand

303, even easier !!!
Reply to
Emimec

Not too bothered about starting with a longer piece of bar (more like an inch for chucking and parting) but the actual parting off would not be too easy on an AUD with 50 diameter stainless.

Ian

Reply to
Ian Phillips

Thats exactly along the lines I was thinking but your implementation is far simpler and easier to make than I was contemplating, its probably what I will do.

Thanks

Ian

Reply to
Ian Phillips

If I can manage 95mm EN24T on an ML7, then you can manage 50mm 316 or 303 on an AUD!

Carbide insert parting tools make a big difference with awkward metals.

Of course, one could always relegate the parting to a bandsaw or power hacksaw. In desperation, if the parting off was too great a step, would be to turn the entire waste part into swarf with a facing tool!

Mark Rand RTFM

Reply to
Mark Rand

Mark

I can part 50mm SS but none of my assortment of parting tools are quite right for it. A recent eBay item I won is a parting blade holder for my Dickson QTP but it needs a new blade and I have not been able to find the correct size.

The short piece of blade that came with it is 5/8" high and about 1/8" wide. None of the suppliers I have tried list one that size. I suspect that the holder would work with a slightly narrower blade (2 to 2.5mm) but the toolholder has no makers name on it looks genuine Dicksons) so cannot be sure.

I also have an Iscar double ended replaceable tip holder (blade only ) but it is 32mm high with nothing to clamp it to the toolpost.

If only I had a miller, or room for one!

Ian

I have recently not op

Reply to
Ian Phillips