How would you do this? (Chuck fitting)

Plus drinking wine and eating cheese.................

-- Regards,

John Stevenson Nottingham, England.

John Stevenson

Hopefully I'll find out later today, have to help the lad with a bit of guitar making this morning though.

Next job is to decide how to do the same job on the 3-jaw ;-)

Cheers Tim

Tim Leech

I slipped up, drilled & tapped for 5/8" Whit studs because that's what the original chuck has. Then found I didn't have anything suitable in

5/8", had to make them up from scratch. I could perfectly well have used M16, got loads of potential material there.

Having got it all done & mounted, clocking a bit of reasonably straight 1 1/4" bar to run true close to the jaws showed about 3 or 4 thou runout 9" away. Not wonderful, but better than it was before on the other lathe. That was after trying all 4 potential positions on the spindle nose, and marking the best one. I also clocked the 'mounting faces' on the jaws - those parallel with the chuck face - and although these were pretty consistent I was surprised to find that one edge on all of them was several thou higher than the other. In other words, as the indicator ran across the face while I turned the chuck, the reading would change substantially although the high points were all pretty much equal.

The front face showed about 5 thou runout at the edge, so I've skimmed across the face just enough to get rid of that.

Cheers Tim

Tim Leech