HQS vs HSS ?

Hi,

I enquired as to whether a tap I found on the www was made of HSS or carbon steel anfd I was told "neither, it's HQS which is better". I''ve never heard of HQS, can anyone tell me anything about it ?

Thanks,

Reply to
Boo

High Quality Steel ?, probably made in China from bits of the twin towers

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

With a reply like that run, don't walk......................

.

-- Regards,

John Stevenson Nottingham, England.

John Stevenson

You got the punctuation wrong - it was a question:

"Neither, it's HQS. Which is better?" ;-)

Regards, Tony

Reply to
Tony Jeffree

Boo, hi, you don't say where you found this HQS could it be the Tap and Die Co? They quote it as "Our excellent HQS quality ensures guaranteed accuracy for taps, dies & dienuts. It is a tougher & better alternative to HSS and cuts superbly even into stainless steel". Under Quality on their page here:

Otherwise Google doesn't seem to illuminate any further unless it is to do with High Quality Saphire or some strange plant from the far east that produces a "pleasant high" if harvested in October!!!

Not sure who's on what.

Yes you are right I am bored and fed up and never heard the term before but then what do I know.

Best regards

Keith

Reply to
jontom_1uk

Boo wrote: I''ve never heard of HQS, can anyone tell me anything about it ?

High Quotient (Scrapped parts)?

Peter

Reply to
Peter Neill

Highly Questionable Substance??

Regards, Tony

Reply to
Tony Jeffree

Well, I've taken your advice and bought the tap from Maidstone, the nice chap there assured me their taps are HSS anyway.

Cheers,

Reply to
Boo

I've bought a few HQS taps and dies from the Tap & Die Co. They seem fine to me (much better than a set of Sealey taps and dies which I have) although I haven't used them for repetitive production work.

Best wishes,

Chris

Reply to
Christopher Tidy