Marlow 3A manual wanted.

Hello all, Vertical milling machine. Anyone have such a beast or photocopy please. I will be posting an update to my "What lathe/mill - advise please" as well as "Magazine & book storage" posts of 26/8/06 and 25/8/04 (bl**dy h*ll is it that long ago) as soon as I've sorted where to place the machines. This year I hope ? :-) Cheers

GeoffH (The Pirate) Norfolk - UK not VA

Reply to
gch

Hi,

Not much help, I've just won a Marlow DF model on Ebay and have been after a manual too. I contacted Tony at

who couldn't supply one and said he'd never seen a manual for them either. He can supply a Marlow sales brochure if you wanted one. I'm hoping that it'll be pretty basic and obvious what's what on it, picking mine up this weekend.

Cheers, Rob

gch wrote:

Reply to
robs1972

Hello Rob, Let me know how you get on with yours. I'm still organising my workshop, but need to do some electrical work on my Marlow table feed motor connection. Couldn't understand why there was no photo of mine on the lathes.co.uk site. Looking at my version, suddenly twigged, someone had fitted a 12mm plate on top to take original motor plus another 5 step jockey pulley ala VMC speed reducer. It's going to be interesting to see what speeds I get. Regards

GeoffH (The Pirate) Norfolk - UK not VA

Reply to
gch

Well collected it on Saturday from Southampton area, nice 400 mile round trip, spent all of yesterday getting it out of the van and breaking it down into smaller pieces that I could shift around the back of the house to the workshop. Most of it is still outside the workshop as I've now going to have to clear more room in the workshop to get my engine crane in - blimey that cast iron stuff weighs!!

Exciting news is that it's not a DF but one of the rare TM10 turret types. Downside is that the motors are both 400/440V 3 phase so I'm going to be looking in to replacing them with some 220/415V so I can run a cheaper inverter, might even just use a single phase motor for the table feed. I also need to figure out the backgear thing, not used one of those before, no doubt there's a knack to it but when I engaged it yesterday I just couldn't turn the quill at all, I guess I need to release something else first.

Overall it seems > Hello Rob,

Cheers, Rob

Reply to
Robbus

In message , Robbus writes

Rob, If it is the same as my model 4A Marlow there is a locking plunger on top of the spindle drive pulley.

Pull this up to disconnect the direct drive from the pulley to the spindle then engage the back gear..

Regards,

Reply to
Pat Martindale

Cheers, Rob