I'm either a genius or an idiot

The piece I am making is a cylinder, about 15mm diameter but needed to have a flat down one side. I don't have an end mill to mount in the chuck, so I bolted the cylinder sideways in the 4-jaw and used a normal cutting tool... did a reasonable job (nothing a bit of linishing won't sort out!!). Is there a better way of doing this without buying a milling machine?

Reply to
Robin

In message , Robin writes

That is a perfectly reasonable way to do the job.

Reply to
Charles Lamont

You really gotta get a couple decent model engineering books and discover some of the things that you are rediscovering.

The Amateurs Lathe by Sparey is one of the best.

Workholding in the Lathe by Tubal Cain is good, and affordable, Milling Operations in the Lathe , Same author, is one I reccomend getting over a lot of others. Both are part of the "Workshop Practice Series" books. Most of that series of books contain a least a few golden tidbits of information, while some of them are simply outstanding. These two books are in the outstanding catagory,IMO, and can be got for pretty cheap in the brit neighborhood, according to amazon.co.uk.

The prices quoted there for brand new stock are about half the retail prices I pay here in Canada for these books, and if you check out the "used" listings, well sir, I figure they are asking a paltry sum for these, at 3 or 4 pound a copy.

At those prices, I recomend you get Screwcutting in the Lathe, by Martin Cleeve, as well. I don't normally recommend it at the retail prices that I have to pay over here, as it is largely padded out with screwcutting charts that are really only of use to folk with older odder lathes, but it covers the theory of screwcutting well and is a usefull addition at the prices over there.

If you feel the need to splurge, get the George Thomas books, Model Engineers Workshop Manual, and Workshop Techniques. GREAT books!

Cheers Trevor Jones

Reply to
Trevor Jones

When I had to do a similar job I just plonked it in my shaper :)

kerthunk,tick,kerthunk,tick. flat sided cylinder :)

Dave

Reply to
david.sanderson

from "Robin" :

Given the equipment that you have available - perfectly reasonable.

With similar constraints I soon looked on eBay for a Vertical Slide which fits on the cross slide. Theses are available in both Fixed and Swivel types. Once you have one then your time will be taken up with "making fixtures to make tools, to make fixtures, to make tools, to make parts" :))

My Vertical Slide is on the cross slide as much as my quick-change tool post!

JG

Reply to
JG

I've already got the screwcutting and milling-in-the-lathe (sounds like a nice village...) books - probably should read them again.

Isn't it a "shock" to the cutting tool when the cylinder meets it - since the length of the cylinder far exceeds the diameter, the majority of the time there is air in front of the cutting tool, until the cylinder swings round to hit it... do I not risk damaging things? Standard of finish was not great as I was reluctant to increase the speed but it's close enough for what I need...

...so to answer the question, looks like I'm a genius!!!

Reply to
Robin

I say get the milling machine - I did and its like chalk and cheese compared to milling on the lathe.

Tim

Reply to
TMN

Yes, it sounds awful but it doesn't seem to harm HSS tools. Don't try it with tipped tools though, they may be hard but they're also very brittle and chip easily with intermittent cuts.

Reply to
lemel_man

It is a shock, but nothing compared with running the saddle into the chuck jaws or dropping something heavy on the bed :D As long as the tool (HSS?) is sturdy, speed is low and feed is modest, no problem. If you take too big/fast cuts the worst that could happen is the workpiece moves, or the tool tip snaps off - in which case you'll may to start again. Provided the lathe is setup right, the machine won't suffer.

Try a tool with a wide sharp edge for finishing.

Yes :)

Reply to
Guy Griffin

Interupted cutting used to be the bane of carbide tools, though there are now carbibes built to take the shock.

It's a pretty normal thing to do, and as long as you don't get too eager on the feed, it works fine.

Cheers Trevor Jones

Reply to
Trevor Jones

I think I did chip the tool slightly, but can just index it round :) Will look at investing in some different tools - I think the scrappie down the road has hundreds just lying around which I'm sure I could pick up for next to nothing...

Reply to
Robin

scrappie

Your lucky then. The scrapies round here (not that there are many) have an animal with fangs at the gate (or it could be the owner - hard to tell) playing the "no mate can't come in, health and safety.. mor'n my jobs worth" record.

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

Don't assume carbide is the be-all and end-all. You can grind HSS tools and tool bits to any shape or cutting angles you need, and they will often give a finer finish. You can also make specials from scratch from silver steel. Shape it in the soft (well softish) condition, harden it, and just hone the edge on.

Reply to
Charles Lamont

All very well if you have a grinder. My lathe is in the lounge - I've got no room for anything else - garage is completely full...

Reply to
Robin

Move it upstairs into the bedroom then. That way you can turn in your sleep.

Ok I'll get me coat............................................

.

-- Regards,

John Stevenson Nottingham, England.

John Stevenson

John,

I always look forward to reading your posts. Some are very detailed and informative, some give a different view on problems which no one else has thought of and some like this, just crack me up. Keep it up.

Archie

">>

Reply to
Archie

LOL Having seen JohnS' workshop and front room, wouldn't surprise me in the least if the bedroom has overflow. Have you finished decorating the front room yet John?

GeoffH (The Pirate) Norfolk - UK not VA

Reply to
gch

Front room ?

Oh you mean the Ebay dispatch office ?

-- Regards,

John Stevenson Nottingham, England.

John Stevenson

A good friend of mine has his Myford in the kitchen...

...he's a great cook but it doesn't half take a long time peeling carrots to the nearest thou...

Reply to
Robin

Handy place that. You've got the big stainless steel parts washer and the heat treatment facilities right nearby.

Peter

Reply to
Peter Neill