Identify a thread

Been a while since I have been on this group ..... traffic seems very low ..... has everyone moved to a FB group or similar ?

Anyway have a thread I could do with some help to identify. It's on a 2 gallon steel container ..... so assuming imperial is a good start.

Its a parallel male thread OD : 0.728" TPI : 24

Would have assumed a pipe thread but pitch is too fine. Although undersize, possible it could have been a nominal 3/4"

Reply to
rick

Can't help with the thread, sorry.

Does anyone know how to cut a deep-ish grove on the face of a piece in the lathe?

thx

Peter Fairbrother

Reply to
Peter Fairbrother

Trepanning, you may have to grind your own bit for the job, dimensions would be useful.

Reply to
David Billington

I was about to say the same. Basically a grooving or parting tool BUT with full clearance ground to match the OD of the groove. Sometimes best to grind the tip in a cylindrical piece of tool steel. You can then rotate to match the OD of the groove and give the tip additional support. Richard

Reply to
Richard Edwards

Got a few jobs, the biggest is 2 off 8mm wide by 10mm deep by ~220mm dia, but I thought I'd use the mill for that one.

Next job is 3mm wide by 3mm deep by 29mm OD; I'd like to do a couple dozen of those, perhaps more if the design takes off (and assuming it works! still a bit secret for now, don't want to explain in detail a public NG).

Last and not so important is a few off 3mm wide by 8-10mm deep by 42mm OD.

Hmm, start with a 3mm blade held slightly off-angle (so when it is held straight you get outside-side penetrating clearance) in a 4-jaw, grind outside to groove OD - or perhaps slightly less? to give outside-side slipping clearance?

Inside - well, it's just a parting tool.

I have some 2mm and 3mm parting tool inserts, might try them. Also thought of using a hole saw or two.

Peter Fairbrother

Reply to
Peter Fairbrother

might be worth a look