Identify a thread

Been a while since I have been on this group ..... traffic seems very low ..... has everyone moved to a FB group or similar ?
Anyway have a thread I could do with some help to identify. It's on a 2 gallon steel container ..... so assuming imperial is a good start.
Its a parallel male thread OD : 0.728" TPI : 24
Would have assumed a pipe thread but pitch is too fine. Although undersize, possible it could have been a nominal 3/4"
On 12/05/2020 18:41, rick wrote:

Can't help with the thread, sorry.
Does anyone know how to cut a deep-ish grove on the face of a piece in the lathe?
thx
Peter Fairbrother
On 14/05/2020 15:48, Peter Fairbrother wrote:

Trepanning, you may have to grind your own bit for the job, dimensions would be useful.
On 14/05/2020 16:29, David Billington wrote:

I was about to say the same. Basically a grooving or parting tool BUT with full clearance ground to match the OD of the groove. Sometimes best to grind the tip in a cylindrical piece of tool steel. You can then rotate to match the OD of the groove and give the tip additional support. Richard
On 16/05/2020 13:49, Richard Edwards wrote:

Got a few jobs, the biggest is 2 off 8mm wide by 10mm deep by ~220mm dia, but I thought I'd use the mill for that one.
Next job is 3mm wide by 3mm deep by 29mm OD; I'd like to do a couple dozen of those, perhaps more if the design takes off (and assuming it works! still a bit secret for now, don't want to explain in detail a public NG).
Last and not so important is a few off 3mm wide by 8-10mm deep by 42mm OD.

Hmm, start with a 3mm blade held slightly off-angle (so when it is held straight you get outside-side penetrating clearance) in a 4-jaw, grind outside to groove OD - or perhaps slightly less? to give outside-side slipping clearance?
Inside - well, it's just a parting tool.
I have some 2mm and 3mm parting tool inserts, might try them. Also thought of using a hole saw or two.
Peter Fairbrother
On 16/05/2020 16:01:04, Peter Fairbrother wrote:

might be worth a look
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v
Ot0gRH0Tk
--