Case harden 316l?

Possible? Easy?
thx

Wouldn't it form carbides everywhere, especially on the grain boundaries, particularly with Chromium, serving zero useful purpose and thereby "robbing" the metal matrix of the solute metals which make it stainless? ie. you'd get a brittle material which corrodes badly?
There's extremely high-carbon stainlesses made by powder metallurgy, giving a pocket knife costing about US$100 and where you can both do any normal task and shave with it.
On 09/03/2020 20:09, Richard Smith wrote:

I don't know whether a carbon-rich layer would work, but if not maybe nitrogen or something?
I am looking for an easy(-ish) home workshop process if possible.
Peter F