Identifying Myford? changewheels

I'm assisting the widow of a recently deceased model engineer to dispose of his workshop.

One box contains two quadrants and a number of changewheels that I have identified as being ML7 or Super 7 but the box also contains 9 changewheels of a different DP. These are 3/8" wide and 7/16" bore with a 1/8" keyway but the OD of the 60 tooth gear is 3.438" whereas the ML/Super7 60 tooth gear is 3.098" OD.

Can anyone tell me what lathe these came from?

There is also a plain bored (3/4") gear with tooth width of 3/4", overall width 7/8" and 28 teeth of the same DP as the ML/Super7. Is that Myford?

Bob

P.S. I've already posted this message in the Yahoo/MyMyford group but without any reply so far.

Reply to
BobKellock

Hi Bob

I have a Boxford 60 tooth (18DP) changewheel here with an OD of 3.441" 1/8in keyway and 3/8" thick. But the bore is 9/16.

I have a feeling other Denford lathes used the same DP but a different bore. Viceroy?

Russell

Reply to
Russell

Reply to
penfold

Hi Bob,

Sounds like 18DP which was is not so common after the war, and I think is mainly Boxford or other South Bend derivatives, though I thought they were

9/16" bore. EXE used 18DP before the war and Tony Griffiths wesbite comments that the studs were smaller than on the Boxfords, though there were a lot of smaller lathe manufacturers back then.

One day we should all put our heads together and come up with a master table for change wheels, then we would all know what swaps with what.

Steve

Reply to
Steve Richardson

I'm afraid I misled you in saying the bore was 7/16" which was a typo or, more likely, a thicko. I should have said 9/16".

Bob

Reply to
BobKellock