Question about Myford

Hello everybody! I am new to the site and forum and must admit that i

is knowledge about lathes and other tools that attracted me rather tha modelling. I am working on slightly bigger scale - mostly with bikes an other two-wheelers, but always wanted to build model steam boats. May b now I will. I hope that my mechanical engineer education will help me. Here comes question. Recently I bought (ultra cheap, 100 euros) Myford lathe - rare find i Belgium, where I live. To be honest - I have looked everywhere and I think it is ML7B - ver long bed, extended corsslide, in perfect order. It is definitely no Super 7. Serial number starts with KSL, then long number (consisten with Myford serials) and then M. Unfortunately it is missing some parts - tailstock, topslide. I managed to buy tailstock off eBay, but I think I've done big mistak as I just bought (off eBay, cheaply) topslide assembly before realizin it is from Super 7, but old-ish one. Gurus of metalworking - may be you can help me...will I ever be able t fit Super 7 topslide on ML7B? I bought it together with complete Super crosslide, but crosslide is in messy state. If I can not fit topslide does it make sense to buy "clean" Super 7 crosslide and replace m crosslide with Super 7 one and fit Super 7 topslide? I do not know ho that part of topslide that bolted to crosslide called - shall I jus look for that part from ML7 and fit Super 7 topslide I bough to it? My apologies if this is wrong place to ask - it's just every time search in Google I find many Myford-related topics here :

-- bluesma

----------------------------------------------------------------------- bluesman's Profile:

this thread:

bluesman

Hi, A few bits of info that might help.

There are three flavours of ML7

  1. ML7 usually in Grey
2.ML7R always green I think
  1. Super7 in grey or green with or without PCF A 'B' means it has a screw cutting gearbox instead of changewheels. All types were available with standard (19" between centres) as well as long bed versions

ML7R was an upgrade released in the mid 70s (I think) and put a Super 7 headstock and S7 tailstock onto a ML7 bed

A Super 7 topslide only fits a Super7

If you contact Myford, they should be able to identify your machine variant from the serial number. If you can get a copy of Ian Bradley's book " Myford Series 7 Manual" ISBN

0 85242 775 1 this will give you lots of info and pictures of the variants which should help you.

HTH

Bob

ML7RB owner

Reply to
Bob Minchin

Thank you! Will try with Myford - just found that their site bac

online. It's pity I'll have to get rid of topslide and crosslide from Super :( but then it means it is back to eBay.

Thanks

-- bluesma

----------------------------------------------------------------------- bluesman's Profile:

this thread:

bluesman

Just called Myford - yep, bad news indeed, I need ML7 topslide wit

topslide base :( Mine is long-bed metric ML7 according to serial, made in late 70s.

If anybody got ML7 topslide to sell - I'll be interested...

If anybody needs Super 7 topslide complete with crosslide and crosslid bolt and handle (crosslide itself in pretty ropey conditions - som T-slots broken, no nut) - you can grab it at same price I paid o eBay...since it is still in UK at my friends house I will not be askin him to bring it to Belgium, so if anybody interested it will save yo international postage

-- bluesma

----------------------------------------------------------------------- bluesman's Profile:

this thread:

bluesman

It's certainly true that the S7 topslide won't drop onto the ML7 crossslide : the ML7 has a round raised locatin peg while the S7 has, I think, a tapered hole in the cross-slide. I'm not sure that it would be impossible to convert, though. You'd need to machine a large tapered hole in the ML7 slide : is that feasible ?

If you don't fancy doing that or don't have the equipment, I'm tempted to try myself, as I understand that the s7 topslide is superior to the ML7 for some jobs (it will rotate through 360 degrees without moving the bolts). I do have a spare ML7 topslide, but it's also a bit ropey !

-adrian

Reply to
Adrian Godwin

Not sure exactly what parts you've already got, but if that's you bidding on item 110051272335 you might still not get what you want. This is the sliding part of the topslide only - it doesn't include the swivel part that bolts to the cross-slide, so unless there's a dovetail exposed on the bit you've got, you'll be looking for another bit too. In fact, that part might be identical to the sliding part of the s7 topslide ..

I can't find the S7 topslide you bought - can you give a link ?

-adrian

Reply to
Adrian Godwin

I would gladly do such conversion, but I have no machinery or access t

machining shop :( Here in Belgium it really is a problem...one o reasons of buying lathe for myself. As far as I can see from little info I found - I think Super 7 topslid on bottom face of topslide base have large diameter...mmm.. raise? Peg which sits in large round hole in crosslide. ML7 topslide - a bit o mistery. On mine - I do have smaller sized hole in my crosslide, so i means ML7 topslide base have locating peg, right?

What about exchange - my Super 7 set consisting of ropey crosslide topside, handles with micrometer dials, tool clamp etc. for your rope topslide (if it is complete with topslide base, the round thing tha bolted to crosslide)? :)

I'll pay postage! ;

-- bluesma

----------------------------------------------------------------------- bluesman's Profile:

this thread:

bluesman

Here is photo and descriprtion I from original eBay offer, quit

accurate:

"Super 7 top and cross slide. Pretty ropey condition, most of the slots on the cross slide are broken out, cross slide nut is missing Top slide is not too bad with no damage to castings although there i some slop in the feed screw." I was not worried about "some slop" because it can be fixed b replacing nut with new one from Myford - costs 11 GBP...

-- bluesma

----------------------------------------------------------------------- bluesman's Profile:

this thread:

bluesman

Yep, it's me - I asked owner, he has topslid base as well, will sell i

with topslide. But obviously I will prefer exchange, otherwise S7 piece will be waste in my garage :(

For S7 - that link under my message was to photo of item. Item number 220040819170

Direct link here:

-- bluesma

----------------------------------------------------------------------- bluesman's Profile:

this thread:

bluesman

Model engineering clubs are good for that, if you have them. Some have their own workshops, otherwise they at least put you in contact with other workshop owners.

Still, I don't know if this conversion is possible : it may be that you'd need to build a new cross-slide or worse.

ML7 crossslide has a hole, into which fits a short peg. It normally sits up by about 8mm and engages a hole in the topslide base, but can be removed (as it seems has yours) to make the crossslide flat.

Sounds like a good deal to me. If you end up winning that topslide (though I suspect it's going to go up a bit yet) you'll be able to replace the most ropey bit of mine. If you don't, maybe you could keep the top of your super 7 topslide.

I don't have the peg spare though, since it's part of the cross slide and not part of the topslide. But it wouldn't be hard to make one out of mild steel, or you might get one from Myford. You don't need it to get the lathe cutting, though the topslide would be a bit more firmly clamped with it fitted.

Where's your friend located ? Might be able to avoid extra postage ..

-adrian

Reply to
Adrian Godwin

Oh, I'll owe you a LOADS of Belgian beer if we do that change! And it's good beer - trust me - I leave in famous place called Hoegaarden :)

My friend live in Oxford, but even if it is not possible - I would not worry too much about postage as long as I can get my ML7 back to working state. Peg - no probs at all, with lathe running I can machine that peg easily :)

I think that probably I will get problems getting that another one off eBay :( never was too lucky on eBay :(

For details - my email: bluesman snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com

Reply to
bluesman

Fair enough. But it might be best to swap just some of the S7 bits so you end up with fairly decent parts. Most of the topslides will be imperial (mine is) but I'm not sure about the S7. I'm also not sure whether you could fit the S7 cross-slide to the ML7 saddle - that might be easier than fitting the S7 topslide to the ML7 cross slide.

Email me, if you can. Email to your rcgroups address bounced.

-adrian

Reply to
Adrian Godwin

I've emailed you. Let me know here if you don't get it (some antispam systems are a bit too keen ..)

-adrian

Reply to
Adrian Godwin

Bluesman

I am not sure where you are with this, but a complete spare Super-7 top-slide is something I could use.

Reply to
Charles Lamont

Hi! Sorry - was off Inet for couple of days.

Yes, I still have that complete topslide with crosslide, tool clam etc. Since I got lucky and did manage to buy ML7 slide off eBay - if yo interested in that S7 kit you can have it exactly at same price bought it + whatever it costs for postage to you from Oxford (or yo can pick it up if you somewhere near). Let me know on bluesman snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.co

-- bluesma

this thread:

bluesman