Myford in Europe saga continued...help!

My saga with restoring back to operation my ML7 long be

continued...need some information help pleeease! Two questions basically

  1. OK, I finally got all missing parts. My ML7 topslide arrived, bu found that 2 small screws that holding nut of topslide screw missing And my worst nightmare - seems it is imperial size screws. Can anybod help me to identify size of those screws (I mean diameter/thread). Whe measured it is bigger than M3 and smaller than M4 (3 and 4 mm "middle diameter metric screws). What size imperial screws I need to look for? Sorry for dumb question I live in Belgium and born and grew in Europe and even educated i metric sizes...
  2. Since Myford or replacement engines very expensive I bough second-hand resilient-mount 1425 rpm 1/2 HP Westinghouse engine. Cam very cheap and works perfectly and smooth and silent. But mounts siz different from Myford and I think height of shaft above base i different too. Obviously it can be cured. May be I can ask somebody fo favour to measure mounts sizes and shaft height of original or "direc replacement" engine on their ML7? Pleaase

-- bluesma

----------------------------------------------------------------------- bluesman's Profile:

this thread:

bluesman

alan

Bluesman Trying to answer you several questions, I think that you should join the MyMyford Group on the Yahoo site.It will give you one of the Super 7 handbooks to look at. I am sorry, but there doesn't appear to be one for the ML7 there.

I was looking at my parts list for a ML7 and find that there are references to 4BA, 2BA, 5/16th"BSF,1/4"BSF and M5. I would caution you that this may not be your lathe as changes have occurred over the years but it does narrow down the sizes a bit. I would guess that you don't have bolts to put it all together and your easiest and cheapest way is to obtain a length of studding in each of the sizes mentioned. At least, you can poke them into the empty holes to find out what you need.

Regarding your electric motor, there should be sufficient adjustment on the motor base to compensate for a non standard motor. Mine is non standard- and was fitted without too much trouble. The drive belts do act as a pair of templates to achieve this. If the motor mounting and the Myford base do not match up, there is no reason why you cannot fit a middle piece of metal or even wood.

Finally, I suspect that you have a mix up with the top and bottom of your new top slide. I guess that the feed screw assembly doesn't mate with the two.The way round this problem is to make a little metal spacer to go between the bits rather like the possible problem with the motor mount and the base mount.

What you have to remember is that you have to check each bit of the re-assembly as previous owners could have done modifications as well as Myford in its production alterations.

Cheers

Norman

Reply to
ravensworth2674

Try the screws that hold the changewheels on - I think they're the same. If so, I've got a bagful and you're welcome to a few.

I'll measure mine tonight (it isn't a Myford original motor but it fits fine). It shouldn't be at all critical though - Myford originally sold the motor mounting kit as an upgrade, probably expecting users to source their own motor. As long as the motor pulley is roughly centred in the belt guard it won't matter. If you don't have a belt guard, anything will be OK as long as the belt is tight.

-adrian

Reply to
Adrian Godwin

Since my last posting and that of Adrian's, I have explored the MyMyford site again.

I was looking at the files section and omitted the'photos' one.

There IS a copy of the parts list etc for the ML7.

My viewing couldn't enlarge enough but between a consortium of Brits, we'll get you there.

Avec un peu de chance, mon ami?

Norm

Reply to
ravensworth2674

Thank you very very much guys! I really appreciate your help!

Topslide is OK - actually it was one piece, seller just disassembled i for sending and lost/forgot screws, but top and low part and all part matching perfectly, it is only 2 screws that missing. I will try today with changewheels screws to see if they match Adrian, thank you very much for the offer! My reason to measure original motor mount was that I feel motor belt i a bit too tight way I install it, and when I release lever tha tightening belts by moving secondary shaft up and down belt does no "slide" and continuing to drive secondary shaft. I have 15mm thick plastic plate I wanted to use as "adaptor", bu wanted to kinda match original Brook Crompton engine mounts position t make adjustment a bit easier

-- bluesma

----------------------------------------------------------------------- bluesman's Profile:

this thread:

bluesman

Screws should be 2BA x 5/8" capscrews. The bag I've got are actually

2BA x 1/2" slotted cheesehead, but they fit perfectly (so the changewheel screws should fit if they're the usual ones). Capscrews might be better if you can find some.

My motor is 3 1/2" (89mm) from base to shaft centre.

-adrian

Reply to
Adrian Godwin

Adrian,

The OP said it was the screws "holding nut of topslide screw" that were missing (i.e. the [female] feedscrew nut). I think these should be countersunk slotted head.

I think the ones you are referring to are the ones that hold the 'apron' that supports the (male) screw; these, as you correctly say, are capscrews.

What I don't know is if the two are the same thread.

Reply to
John Montrose

The 'secondary shaft', as you call it, is sometimes called the 'countershaft'. The 'release lever' only affects the belt between this shaft and the lathe spindle (mandrel). The belt between the motor and the countershaft will always have enough tension to drive the countershaft.

The purpose of the release lever is to loosen the mandrel-to-countershaft belt to change speeds. It is not designed as a clutch to control rotation of the spindle.

Reply to
John Montrose

Thank you Adrian, thank you all - really appreciate your help! You ar

great bunch of people, so friendly and heplful. Yep, I can get some imperial screws online (want to order some othe sizes too just in case as I only have metric ones). I'll get some fro online shop to match original size.

Back to work then :

-- bluesma

this thread:

bluesman

Hi John,

You're quite right, I was thinking of the screws holding the apron, i.e. the ones visible next to the dial when the topslide is assembled.

However, the ones holding the nut are different : on my slide, and in the manual, they're 3/8" slotted cheesehead. But they're 4BA, not 2BA, so smaller than the ones used for the changewheels.

Bluesman, best to check the holes in the nut before you order, to find out whether yours is countersink or cheesehead.

-adrian

Reply to
Adrian Godwin