Help with Myford chuck

I have just bought a used Myford and the 3 jaw chuck is missing one of the outside jaws.It is a 4" chuck I think.

I can't find a name on the chuck, the jaws have 838 stamped on them in addition to the number.

Is it possible to buy replacement jaws, or do I need a whole new chuck?

Reply to
daedaluscan

You can buy sets of blank jaws here

and grind then in situ to be concentric in your chuck body. The 838 is simply an arbitary number to match the set of jaws at manufacture.

Alternatively you could buy a set of soft jaws to serve their main purpose as well as provide the replacement function.

Bob

daedaluscan wrote:

Reply to
Bob Minchin

Sorry to be slow, but I couldnt really understand your proposal. How to I know that the jaws will fit? I really want a set of outside regular jaws. Is there a standard? I assume the chuck came with the lathe, but the lathe is from about 1949 if the serial numbers are correct.

Charlie

Reply to
daedaluscan