Milling Chamfer Tools

I was wondering in wood routing you get a range of chamfer tools with various radii. Is it possible to get similar cutters for a milling machine.
I want to put a round chamfer on a piece of square aluminium and this would be the easiest way.
On Thu, 07 Feb 2008 10:56:58 GMT, "Richard Bradshaw"

Yup. They are called a "corner rounding cutter". Just type this into the J &L search box and it will come up with a whole selection of sizes. http://www.jlindustrial.co.uk /
Peter

ebay ...they are called radius cutters ...or radius mills.
you may have to buy an arbour for some of them.
make sure its a 1" inch arbour
and the tool has one inmch hole in it ..
as these are the most plenty full and common
all the best.mark
Richard Bradshaw wrote:

Yes. Look for corner rounding end mills. Be in a chair, when you see prices.
Cheers Trevor Jones

The manufacturers of aluminium and upvc window frames use these to cut industry-standard extrusions for individual orders. You might be able to find a local manufacturer who'd run your pieces through his router for beer money, if it's a one-off.
Alternatively, these people go out of business frequently. Keep a look out for receivership auctions.
-adrian
Adrian Godwin wrote:

Use a router.
Works a charm, on al.
Shoulda mentioned that in my first post.
Cheers Trevor Jones
You can use a wood routing cutter on aluminium. Slow speed and feed and use paraffin for coolant

Hello Richard if you are only after a small radius on a reasonably short run on aluminium I would think that trying one of the wood routing cutters was worth a try, after all they are normally carbide faced and even for the cheaper priced of one of these it's worth an experiment. Cheers Colin
Thanks for the replies guys especially Bill and Colin I will give the wood router tools a go certainly worth it looking at the price of the "proper tools".

On Thu, 07 Feb 2008 10:56:58 GMT, "Richard Bradshaw"

...yes....edge cutters. I use an 'ovalo' molding cutter along the edges of MS steel blocks for decorative purposes. --