Myford Vertical slide

I have a Myford universal vertical slide ,the old type ,with the fixed micrometer dial . I was wondering if there is a conversion that someone has done to make the dial adjustable like on the cross and top slides of the S7. I haven't taken a look to see if it can be done easily yet ,the slide is packed away ,but I will be using it some time in the future. Just thought that I woulkd take the easy way out first .

Or is the only option a replacement Myford screw and micrometer dial ?

Thanks. Kev.

Reply to
Kevin(Bluey)

In message , "Kevin(Bluey)" writes

You shouldn't need a new screw - the adjustable dials are interchangeable.

The dials are available as spare parts from Myfords.

Regards,

Reply to
Pat Martindale

Hang on, Bluey!

The Myford S7 might NOT fit. Some time back, we did a thing about the ML7 and the Super7 slides and they are not interchangeable- as such. Mine is a Zyto one( but looks identical to the ordinary plain Myford one.) so I cannot check.

You have two options and that is to measure the distances in the holes in the relevant castings or to make a new one using one of the suggested ines in Model Engineers Workshop Manual.

Somebody might do you a measuring job. Meantime Cheers

Norman

Reply to
ravensworth2674

Norman, never managed to get up to Newcastle on Friday, problems with a big broken motor shaft.

Trip now arranged for Wednesday or Thursday this week, you in then ?

John S.

Reply to
john

Thanks for the replies, But I think I may have confused some , I am talking about the vertical milling slide that bolts onto the cross slide .The micrometer dial is fixed and cannot be set back to zero like the cross and top slide dials with out winding the slide up or down. Or am I reading you correctly that the vertical milling slide for the ML& and the Super7 different?

I read on Chris Heapy's old website that he modified his ,but he dosen't say how the modification was done .

My Super 7 is the non cross slide power feed model ,and came with a lot of genuine Myford accessories ,millimg slide and vice , collets and chuck , dividing attachment etc.

I am a Fitter and Turner by trade ,but have been out of the trade for many years ,I got side lined into diesel engines and gas turbines and have done only basic turning for about 20 years . I have re-learn all the forgotten stuff .

Thanks.

Reply to
Kevin(Bluey)

Kevin (Bluey)

I am not surprised that you got surprised, there have been several red herrings raised in the replies.

The vertical slides came with the fixed "Mazak" (sh*it metal) dials which are essentially a 1/4 BSF nut with a dial integral with it. This has been replaced by a steel equivalent, but more importantly a Re-Settable Micrometer Dial Myford N0. 20/252 is now offered as a slightly more expensive alternative. The Myford WEB site quotes: Steel Dial GBPDs 15.09 and Resettable Dial GBPDs 22.88.

These dials were also use on the ML7 & ML7 cross/top slides, I have fitted one to my vertical slide - it is 2 minute job!

of page 5)

Regards Brian

Reply to
brian

Norman

The Zyto vertical slide was indeed a Myford one but with the Tee bolt heads faced off somewhat to accommodate Tee slots in the less substantial cross slide.

Regards Brian

Reply to
brian

Thanks and I am simply mentioning the possible confusion- and cost which could arise. The castings on the ML7 and the Super 7 for the feed screws are definitely different. I have both machines and the Zyto was mentioned to say that I couldn't say which fitted what. ( Meanwhile- back at the ranch)

Norman

Reply to
ravensworth2674

essentially

alternative. The Myford

Brian , Thanks for clarifying the info . It's the "mazak" dial that I have on my slide . I did check the Myford website but failed to find the correct part . I will definetly replace it with the resettable job.

Reply to
Kevin(Bluey)

In message , ravensworth2674 writes

I had the fixed dial on my Myford vert slide.

I changed it for a Myford adjustable dial as fitted to the super 7.

They do fit.. the fixed and adjustable dials are interchangeable whether they are to be used on the cross / topslide or the vertical slide.

Regards,

Reply to
Pat Martindale

If the replacement involves the 'front casting' it IS different. I recall a bit of difficulty in the older S7 assemblies listed by GHT. They were glued- or so he said. Hence words of caution earlier

Again, Radford had a go at changing things on his S7 and Cleeve did on his ML7

Chacun a son gout

Norm

Reply to
ravensworth2674

Kevin, as you're in my part of the world, try Minitech for Myford stuff locally

- they are the Australian agents.

've purchased quite a bit of stuff from them over the years for my ML7T.

Reply to
Duracell Bunny

Ye gods! 15 squid for a slice of steel bar threaded 1/4 BSF and marked with a few graduations?? That is outrageous!

Regards, Tony

Reply to
Tony Jeffree

Tony, I was trying somewhat futilely to point the guy to making the bits himself. You can't win 'em all!

Cheers

Norm

Reply to
ravensworth2674

Feel free to try making them for less! I'd say that the price is not unreasonable for less than several hundred at a time.

Mark Rand RTFM

Reply to
Mark Rand

Reply to
Kevin(Bluey)

Hi, I don't know if it helps, but Myford have launched a new website which might have what you want at

Regards Gerbil

url:

Wandering Gerbil