Myford S7 Cross slide Help

While idly about with the cross slide handle I have withdraw the slide
too far and now it don't want to go back. Any ideals please.
Mike
Reply to
Mike cole
If you haven't dropped the adjusting gib strips out, just push it back gently while turning the handle in the correct direction until the thread picks up again.
Peter -- Peter & Rita Forbes Email: snipped-for-privacy@easynet.co.uk Web:
Peter A Forbes
Mike, Peter does provide a reason for the problem but not, I fear, how to resolve future problems.
The Myford gibs were recommended to be secured by 'pinning through' by the late GH Thomas when in his Model Engineers Workshop Manual, he described the method and also how to make simple locks for the gibs on the lathe and the vertical slide.
Reply to
ravensworth2674
The OP was talking about a Super 7, the cross slide Gibs on the S7 are bolted to the cross slide and don't fall out.
Mark Rand RTFM
Reply to
Mark Rand
Mark, True but they waggle on the S7 enough to annoy! I pinned mine- and fitted pressure locks onto the saddles of both the ML7 and the S7 as well as the top slides to both.
GHT and I share a particular brand of pedantry.
And Myford bloody gibs- said he in rant mood! There are better fitting gibs. There should be only a gnat's cock clearance in the gibs for starters.Mumble mumble. Rant quieter now!
Norm
Reply to
ravensworth2674
If he has one of those new-fangled jobs with a power cross-feed isn't it a bit more complicated? I don't know 'cos mine ain't.
Reply to
Charles Lamont
The message from Charles Lamont contains these words:
It works OK on mine which has power cross-feed. If I remember correctly, you may have to remove the top slide, to gain access, so that you can fiddle with the gear wheel to get the key to engage.
Bill Lamond
Reply to
William J Lamond
In article , Charles Lamont writes
ISTR that GHT in the Workshop Manual described the procedure for re-fitting the cross slide of a Super 7 with PXF. If you have such a model, and have not got the book, ask and I will look it up for you. (Better still, buy the book!)
David
Reply to
David Littlewood
O Hi Guys As i have the power cross slide it was a bit more than just pusting it back. There is a keyway in a gear which must line up so the slide had to come off to remove the gear. All back togerter now Thanks Mike Cole
Reply to
Mike cole