Modifications to a Myford ML7R

I have a ML7R which is essentially a standard ML7 fitted with a super7 headstock and tailstock introduced by Myford in the late 70s.

I'm becoming ever more frustrated by the limited range of angles that the topslide can be rotated (+/- 45 degrees). I am considering imitating the Super 7 design by fitting a dovetailed collar on the base of the topslide, boring out the cross slide table and drilling and tapping the table sided for clamp screws. To complete the changes, I will fit a smaller diameter micrometer dial on the topslide so that it does not foul the cross slide feedscrew support bracket.

I can't see any snags in this plan but can anyone else spot a flaw or even better still, has anyone attempted such a change and can pass on their experiences.

Can anyone tell me the diameter of the bore in the Super 7 table.

TIA

Bob

Reply to
Bob Minchin

The table bore on my S7 measures 1.880". Mine is of 60's vintage if that makes any difference.

Reply to
Kevin(Bluey)

Thanks Kevin

Reply to
Bob Minchin

Hi Bob , This is probably more work than you may be prepared to do, but I made a new topslide & filled in the holes on the Myford topslide and cut two shallow grooves enabling the topslide to move all over the cross slide & be locked at any angle.

Alan

Reply to
jackary

Regards

An interesting approach Alan but perhaps more than I need in my current work aspirations.

Thanks anyway

Bob

Reply to
Bob Minchin