imperial screwcutting on metric lathe

from Bob Minchin

Your post came down as I was sending mine, Bob.
We are both saying the same thing of course, just choosing to write the equation differently.
JG

Okay.
1)You're right.
2)I give in.
3)I'll stop drinking at lunch time.
Well as they say two out of three aint bad, so maybe one of those could be a lie :)
from Cliff Ray

It doesn't!

It doesn't!
You are suggesting that 1 Radian is 3.145926 when in fact it is 57.2957795130823
The angle in degrees is in fact equal to the angle in Radians DIVIDED by Pi and then multiplied by 180 (360 = 2 Pi Radians) ----- R/pi*180
So the unit (degrees) is determined by the unit of the final multiplicand (180) since all other variables are unitless.
JG

lbs and oz if the Melton Mowbray versions
On Wed, 24 Dec 2008 07:19:51 -0000, "Amateur machinist"

Last time I bought one I didn't buy it by weight; I simply bought *one*. So the Melton Mowbray versions are clearly dimensionless too.
Regards, Tony

If you purchased one, but then wanted to verify that the weight was as described on the packaging, where would you for an accurate measurement that would stand up in a court of law?
Well, in the words of the old song ...
"Somewhere, over the rainbow, weigh a pie"

Could you expund on what is your own practical application of Group Theory, and how you actually do meaningful calculations with it?
Whenever I've come across Group theory in school textbooks my reaction is always, "How curious!" because I cannot see any practical application for it.

Symmetry point groups are very important in chemistry, crystallography, and (I imagine) metallurgy.
My wife (a mathematician) tells me that this is not "real" group theory, by which I think she means it is a fairly obscure (to mathematicians) special area of group theory which happened to lie outside university maths courses.
David
--
David Littlewood

How would you do a calculation with the theory that would give you a useful result in those areas?
(I don't expect a mathematical treatise, just perhaps an example of how it is applied)

Or to put it another way, if you were to totally ignore the group theory in those applications, how would you be disadvanteged, if at all?

Well, Galois theory is useful to understand symmetry of roots to polynomials- the most basic example being that quadratic equations have either one (repeated or double) root, two real roots, or a pair of complex roots. You could survive life without knowing such things but were you, for example, an electronics engineer, such things do tend to be useful.
HTH
Brian

So does Galois go on the tumbler gear or does the polynomial ? And if the polynomial goes on the tumbler gear do you need a root, two real roots, or a pair of complex roots between the Galois ?
If it's the first option where does the kipper fit ?
Confused minds want to know.
On Sun, 28 Dec 2008 07:39:00 -0800 (PST), John S
I find that the kipper fits best in the mouth, preferably having cut it into bite-sized peices, but YMMV ;-)
Regards, Tony

Slice of very fresh new white bread, deeply buttered and hot kippers - yum - beats a chip butty and that's saying a lot.
AWEM

The only Galois theory I ever found useful is that if you smoke one, you turn green. Seemed to hold true in practice also ;-)
Regards, Tony

Well, it was several decades ago and I found it hard to stay awake (was never my favourite area of chemistry) but as far as I can recall it had to do with the fact that the properties, energy levels, spectroscopic patterns etc. of atoms depended on the symmetry of their molecular environment. Don't ask me how the calculations are done, I did a few at the time but the years have mercifully blanked it out.
David
--
David Littlewood

Well, it is a little beyond school text books.
You might try looking at Galois theory (which relates, in brief terms) to the roots of polynomials and their symmetry.
There is also algebraic K theory (a correct use of Big K)
HTH

So, was that reply intended to be helpful and to provide the sought-for explanation, or only intended to make you feel good about yourself?

The former, Gareth.
If you've found it helpful then I will also be pleased to have helped you.

You seem to be confusing me with someone else and are replying with a response that seems to continue to be more of an irrelevant ego trip than to be a helpful response.
Insofar as you do confuse me with someone else, are you the same Brian Reay who lives at Falcon Lodge, Spekes Rd, Hempstead, Gillingham, Kent, ME7 3RT and who has the CB callsign of G8OSN?