Latest toy - Grinder

Chaps
I have just acquired an RJH Bison 10" pedestal grinder which is a fine cast
iron device. I have seen a picture of a drill grinding version of this
machine: - this is the current edition.

I fancy making a drill grinding attachment along the lines of those die cast
ones sold everywhere for a few quid, but larger and bolted to the end cover
of the grinder, so I can do larger drills.
I cheekily e-mailed RJH Morrisflex but they didn't reply, can't say I blame
them. Does anyone have any information on the earlier version of the above
which would be useful to make a one-off copy?
This is the sort of thing I'm blathering on about: -

Cheers!
Steve
(Sheffield)
Reply to
Steve
What about buying one of those el cheapo die cast things and scaling it up by 3 or 4 ? -- Regards,
John Stevenson Nottingham, England.
John Stevenson
Thanks John
My initial thought was just doing that, then I saw a 2hp Bison with the remains of the factory mounting bracket on it. That set me thinking other options and looking on their website. My dad has had a Picador (I think) die cast one for donkeys years and it does work if you set it according to the instructions. I didn't mention it in the post, but wondered if anyone had any other ideas. Like the e-mail to RJH, it is work asking the question.
Regards
Steve Addy Sheffield
Reply to
Steve
Steve,
A few months back I got fed up with my inability to do a good job of sharpening my taper shank drills, most of which were too large to make any attempt to modify my "Picador" type jig possible. My "research" consisted of looking up "Drill Grinding" on Colin Ushers MEW Index where I found an article called "Drill Grinding Geometry" by F. Fallows in MEW 23 May/June 1994. This seemed to give most of the information needed to design and build my own to take up to 1 1/4" (32mm) diameter drills. My first jig is successful though over complicated. A simpler and more robust model will be made in due course. If you are interested I can email you a five page word document that includes nine photos.
Dick Gays, Leicester.
Reply to
Dick Gays

Dick
That would be great, I am very interested. It is the 'too long' morse taper ones that are driving me. They were a bargain at a show, but one got chipped on blowholes inside a steel casting. It has been on my mind ever since. I was thinking of a simple and functional steel fabrication, rather than something Geo Thomas might have made. I'm strictly amateur and would rather be working on my loco than making tools.
Thanks very much
Steve
Reply to
Steve

May I also ask for a copy as I have same problem
snipped-for-privacy@andrewbishop66.plus.com
Thanks Andrew
Reply to
Andrew Bishop

Andrew and Darryll
I have asked Dick if he minds me sending the info he has sent to me on to other interested parties. I don't think he noticed it in all the bilge I had written, so I have just asked him again. I am happy to forward it if he agrees.
Andrew good luck in landing the Eagle
Steve (Sheffield)
Reply to
Steve