Please recommend a bench grinder

Hi,

I want to buy a good quality bench grinder. I've tried (and returned t the shop) a couple of chinese efforts, both of which were so out o balance as to be unusable. So, recommendations anyone?

Cheers, Pau

-- Mr Cran

----------------------------------------------------------------------- Mr Crane's Profile:

this thread:

Mr Crane

I bought a Chinese or probably Korean (ever noticed that a lot of Korean made goods start with the letter K or have KIM in there name) one years ago ... make was kinso.

it also has German data label on it so...who knows

it was out of balance ...soon corrected ..

this grinder has served me well .for at least ten years ...is powerful and smooth and has been used for hours on end ... watch out for the ones shaped like this though.

post number 8 here ...

all casing and hardly any motor

all the best.mark

Reply to
mark

sorry i bought it 10 years ago not one ...

all the best.mark

Reply to
mark

I think the biggest problem with the Chinese spark works are their grinding wheels. Don't know what you can use them for, but certainly not for grinding. Maybe put them under flower pots? Or sell them as cheese from the Netherlands?

Have heard that from several people.

With a Norton, Klingspor, Tyrolit or some other decent brand you'll be much happier.

Nick

Reply to
Nick Mueller

I have a cheap 150W one from Lidl a few years ago. Better than not having one at all, my Dad had a similar but 200W one which is newer and better. His Wolf 6" BG is still a fine machine after near 50 years.

I have invested in a floor mounted 1hp 3 phase RJH Bison with 250mm wheels. Cost just over £100 with the cost of a new wheel and a respray in original factory colour.

Steve Sheffield

Reply to
Steve

I have that one with a different name and paint color. I've never burned any edge grinding with it. ;)

Wes

Reply to
Wes

Buy a good one used. You get more for your money. I can suggest a few dealers if you're interested.

Best wishes,

Chris

Reply to
Christopher Tidy

Know anywhere in Devon? I'm happy to go further afield if need be.

Cheers, Pau

-- Mr Cran

----------------------------------------------------------------------- Mr Crane's Profile:

this thread:

Mr Crane

It _might_ be worth driving up to Axminster and having a look at their stuff. The prices will be quite a bit higher than the best you could get second hand, but maybe less bad than if you had to drive to London or Birmingham to pick up a bargain. They do seem to have as good a range of grinders as any I've seen recently.

Mark Rand RTFM

Reply to
Mark Rand

Toolbox, Colyton (near Seaton), close to the tram terminus.

There's also a place just off the M5 at Cullompton (industrial estate immediately north of the junction). Not so good for second-hand machinery & tooling but keeps a lot of taps & dies and miscellaneous junk.

-adrian

Reply to
Adrian Godwin

I bought a Creusen off Axminster - 8" for around =A3100. There's usually some sort of deal on for last-year's model or whatever, or a free something. 6" is a bit cheaper, there's a Creasen "cheap" model too, and a full-monty pro model a good bit more. Whilst I've not used it much, being only a gentleman-dabbler, it's clearly much better made that a cheap one and I'm happy with it. I've slightly regretted not buying a 2nd hand old British industrial one though, perhaps one of those with a tilting table end-on to the wheel. But I didn't and am happy with the Creuesen.

Hywel

Reply to
hyweldavies

Thanks everyone - given me some ideas. Axminster's only an hour away s

I might try them on Satuurday.

Regards, Pau

-- Mr Cran

this thread: