Cheap spindle speed method

I started designing and building a digital readout for my C6 spindle speed - spent hours lost the designs and layouts.

However found this on eBay:

Works out shipped at less than £20. My design was based around a tachometer disk with 60 3mm holes around then edge of a CD mounted behind the spindle pulley with an opto sensor, which scales RPM to Hertz as an output from the sensor. Put the two together and its a really quick addon. The panel meter hasn't arrived yet(!) but once installed I will post the results.

Steve

Reply to
Steve W

Steve

You were up early for a Sunday, That looks interesting, I will look forward to hearing how you get on. Electronics are not my thing, but I reckon even I could sort that out.

Steve Sheffield

Reply to
Steve

My method takes some beating for economy. Take a length od studding the longer the better. Stick it in the chuck. Put anut on it. Measure and mark a length on the studding. Start the lathe. Grab the nut and time it between the measured marks. Fron the pitch , which you should know and the time the rpm can be calculated,. As has been said absolute precision is not needed and you only have to do it once.

Reply to
Anzaniste

LOL! This method can't be beaten! In any field! :-))

Nick

Reply to
Nick Mueller

Unless the nut grabs you back...

Reply to
Steve W

How about?

Check what gears are on the lathe, engage the leadscrew and time between marks.

Russell

Reply to
Russell

Safer, definately, wonder why I didn't think of that!!!!

Reply to
Anzaniste