Digital readout from www.ezdro.com

I just received my digital readout from EZDRO (www.ezdro.com). I saw their add in the Home Shop Machinist. I ordered the base unit and one
of their encoders and cables. I mounted the encoder on the end of a small motor that I had so that I could see if it worked. I set it up according to the instructions and set the pitch to 10 and the resolution to 2048. It works great and the fractional display is really cool. I was wondering if anyone has used this on a linear scale. I have some scales that I picked up off of ebay but am not sure of the connections.
Thanks!
rascal wrote:

Looks to me like it can only be as accurate as your acme leadscrews. Any play between leadscrew and nut would introduce errors.
Amy I missing something?
RB wrote:

not missing a thing.. quoted from their website:
<quote>Screws are also relatively cheap. You can choose a piece of all thread or use a precision screw of your choosing. Keep in mind that the accuracy of the system is a function of the precision of the lead screw and the resolution of the encoder. If you use a piece of all thread from your home store the pitch will not be as accurate as maybe a precision ground lead screw. This may not be an issue if you are using this as a digital readout on a chop saw or miter saw. The screw pitches that are available are 1, 2, 5, 8, 9, 10, 11, 13, 14, 16, 18, 20, 24, 28, 32, 36, 40 and 48.</quote>
so, for home use, not too bad.. but for precision machining, don't think so..
tnik wrote:

Ah, missed that, thanks. So this product seem sort of pointless to me. To get the same accuracy as a set of cheap scales, you have to go to ballscrews.
RB wrote:

yea, for a few hundred more you can get the anilam wizard 2 axis scale set..
guess it depends on what you have, and what you need.

Yoy missed one thing:
Calibration:
The second part in the setup procedure is used to fine tune the setup. To begin this process the user will reset the unit. This insures that the internal counters are all initialized to zero. Press the CAL button and the button for the axis to be tuned. Lets use the Y axis for example. The user presses the CAL and Y buttons at the same time. At this time the text Y Cal will be displayed on the line labeled Configuration. The Y axis will then be moved a known distance and measured. This can be done with a precision block or a dial indicator. For the sake of simplicity we will move the axis 1. The display will show the distance moved on the Y axis as well as the encoder quadrature count on the Configuration line. When you have completed the move press the SLCT button. You will then see displayed on the Configuration line the text Y Saved. The value of the encoder reading is saved in EEPROM. Repeat this process for the other axis if needed. When this step is completed the Setup is repeated so that this new encoder count can be selected. The value will show up when selecting encoder values. For the X axis it will be after the value 2048. The Y would be the next one and Z after that.
rascal wrote:

Sure, but that still does not account for backlash in an acme screw.
rascal wrote:

yea, but that doesn't calibrate your screw setup. Like RB was saying.. the readout is only as good as your screw..
on a standard threaded rod, you can have .003-.005 difference in major and pitch diameter. that wouldn't be fixed with the 'calibration' of the above mentioned DRO.