Long tapered tubes

Yesterday I spent quite some time (unusually) as a passenger on a
motorway journey and my mind wandered to looking at the forest of long
tapered lamp posts wondering how the heck they make them.
So how do you make a steel pipe of perhaps 30 foot length with a 2:1
taper over its length?
AWEM
Reply to
Andrew Mawson
If you've got hundreds/thousands to do, make a tapered mould, start with a parallel tube and expand it by ? hydraulic/explosive forming or a tapered mandrel?? Pure guesswork, not something I know anything about.
Next guess??
Tim
Tim Leech
*groane* shed some light...
Surprisingly, I found that an interesting read. The U-shaped supporting ribs and VCDs is clever stuff.
Zed
Guy Griff> > Yesterday I spent quite some time (unusually) as a passenger on a
Reply to
zedbert
Firefox locks up when I try to open it :-(
Cheers Tim
Tim Leech
Were you thinking of making one (or several) at home? Surely this would be an interesting exercise in casting.
Russell
Reply to
Russell
Well now lets see, traditionally it would have been:
- form plug/core from loam/cowdung mix on central spigot previously wrapped in straw rope and dry
- form wall thickness by coating above in beeswax and leave to cool
- apply further coating(s) of loam/cowdung mix and straw rope and leave to dry
- erect in pit and slowly heat to melt out wax and bake mould (a VERY deep pit !)
- melt iron, hope its got enough fluidity, and pour
- demould result and toss (at least) 50% back as scrappers
(of course you could use the slightly more modern Stanton & Stavely method of spinning a female mould without a core but that's too easy!)
Russell, no I think on reflection perhaps not just yet
AWEM
Reply to
Andrew Mawson
Tim,
It's a PDF. Download it separately (right click on the link, and 'save as'.) Open from where you save it, don't let firefox try.
I would recommend installing the upgraded version of Adobe Acrobat, but it's an enormouse download, forces a reboot when it updates itself and is generally a pain in t'behind. If you have a quite new and fast PC it's not too bad.
Ed
Neil Ellwood wrote:
Reply to
zedbert
If running firefox in Linux as I am try changing the action to open with ghostview.
My firefox always left me with a blank screen so had to save file and then open up seperatly. Now it does this automatically.
If not Linux sorry for the bandwidth.
Cheers Adrian
Suse10
Reply to
Adrian Hodgson
It did work for me after at least four failures, one of which needed a full reboot. Same setup as yours.
Cheers Tim
Tim Leech

Site Timeline