loss of an envoy

Just heard on the news that Fred Dibnah has died.

He will be missed.

Mark Rand RTFM

Reply to
Mark Rand

Mark Rand writes

Indeed he will. But I am sure that he will be fondly remembered.

Reply to
Mike Whittome

In article , Mark Rand writes

Aye. I've been raising both steam and a glass this evening.

Reply to
Nigel Eaton

A reminder to us all not to be so silly as to refuse medication for potentially terminal illnesses.

Reply to
Airy R. Bean

Not a word on any radio or tv station. What a surprise. War is obviously more important. I'm going to miss seeing him in his wescoat, watch chain and cap. Was hoping to see episode 2 of his mining endeavor. Sadly missed will he be. GeoffH

Reply to
GeoffH

It was on the 4 O'clock news on Radio 2 the day he died...

Also on the BBC website.

Peter

Prepair Ltd

And on BBC TV news on the sad day.

Tim

Reply to
Tim Auton

fred has been on the local news nearly every day,i met him many times, often in the scrapyard when looking for metal bar.i have even had a few pints with him over the years. i am hoping to watch the funeral cortege next tuesday as the coffin is being pulled on a trailer behind a traction engine. this will be behind his own engine and living van. i hope people dont think me morbid but i hope to get some photos.

Reply to
bolmas

Bolmas

I don't think you are being morbid. You are merely honouring a person who many of us would have dearly loved to have met in person. Although we never met him we still regarded him in some way as a friend just from seeing on the box. Truly an Engineer to his finger tips. If you get any good photos I am sure a lot of people on this group would like to see them.

Brian

Reply to
brian

of us would

finger tips.

to see them.

I'll second that, I would be most obliged if you could email any you get.

Joules

Reply to
Joules

My Mom told me last night that she saw the sad news on TV. I missed all the announcements. Too busy reading ME books or modeling. Apologies to the news media. I must put brain into gear first before posting such sweeping statements of assumption :-) GeoffH

Reply to
GeoffH

here are the details of freds funeral.sounds like it will be a fitting send off

bolmas

That seems a fitting and very fine tribute. I wonder just how many "about 8" will turn out to be

Regards

Kevin

Reply to
Kevin Steele

ive just got back from freds funeral, it was a good send off.it was pouring with rain,windy and cold but there were still thousands of people lining the route. there were six engines in the cortege and i managed to get a few photos so here they are.

+-------------------------------------------------------------------+ |Filename: freds funeral012.JPG | |Download:
| +-------------------------------------------------------------------+
Reply to
bolmas

two mor

+------------------------------------------------------------------- |Filename: freds funeral014.JPG |Download:
bolmas

Thanks for that. I liked the one with his coffin on his ladders and his flat cap on top.

Regards,

John Stevenson Nottingham, England.

Reply to
John Stevenson

What was the significance of the Elephant & castle?

Reminds me a bit of when we sent off my former employer, Peter Froud, in the mid-eighties. Coffin on the back of his Sentinel steam waggon, yours truly driving & his wife firing, plus a small collection of engines following behind. Didn't have the crowds lining the streets but it was a good turnout. Bl**dy thing wouldn't steam at all, but everyone else just thought we were travelling at a respectfully gentle pace deliberately.

Cheers Tim

Reply to
Tim Leech

I was there to see the cortage in two places. Bettsy was missing towards the end so I retraced the route to find she had run out of water! Fred achieved the ultimate for a man with his character, He was late for his own funeral. I had 2 digital cameras & both mis-behaved due to the fine rain. I will see what I have after tea.

View this thread:

Dave Croft

Here is a couple of pictures. Fred passing a chimmney & Betsy abandoned by the other engines.

> View this thread:

Dave Croft